• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help With A Correct Diet

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Hello, i’ve had my tiel, Buttons, for 11 months now. From the time i’ve gotten him, i wanted to convert his diet to pellets, but the store owners suggested i wait until he was weaned because he wasn’t gaining much weight as was. So i waited, and now he’s only eaten colorful pellets. Zupreem fruity to be exact, and although he does love it, i want to give him the best life possible. I’m feeding him vegetables, and the only thing he really loves and will eat without me pretending to chew on it for hours is kale. I’ve tried making him a chop, and he’s recently stopped eating it and wants human food only. When he sits with us for dinner he always wants what the humans are eating, and i obviously can’t give him that everyday, so i’m looking for something that’s quick and easy for me to give him that’s good for him and he’ll never get sick of. Note that he doesn’t like wet things, so if something is wet he won’t touch it at all. Also, I really don’t know what pellets to give him. What kind of pellets do your tiels like? Anyway, I’m just looking for good alternatives to a picky birdie’s diet, and also a little more information on dieting him correctly. (Pellet to seed ratio + how many veggies or treats to give him) Is there such thing as over feeding veggies? Thanks

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
** The problem with fresh veggies is that he eats so little and they sell a lot more than he can keep up with, so the veggies end up rotting pretty fast

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Don't stop his seed. Tiels are granivores and need some seed in their diet. Try Top's pellets, my Tiel loved them.
Don't suddenly offer a dish of mixed foods, that can be quite scary. Introduce one new thing at a time. Try something like brown rice, when he Eats that add one new thing at a time and wait to see if it's accepted.
This isn't a race, it's not going to happen overnight.
Try offering new things by clipping them to the cage. A good place is right next to the roost, he'll be more interested in trying a new food that's close to him than climbing all that way down to his seed dish.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can eat the veggies yourself before they go bad and maybe your bird will try some. Broccoli, snow peas, green beans and leafy greens are favorites here. I’ve never eaten so much parsley and cilantro! Freeze dried veggies are also a great option, and my tiels like them very slightly moistened mixed with their sprouts. Since they aren’t too wet, but just dampened, they will stick to the things your bird likes, such as pellets, seeds, sprouts, etc. This way they will be forced to eat some while going for their favorites. You can do the same thing with finely chopped veggies and grains. My vet said tiels should consume 50/50 pellets/seeds, with as much fresh food as you can get them to eat in addition to that. I think something like 35/35/30 or 40/40/20 would be a good goal for your bird. My birds like Roudybush pellet crumbles. They used to eat zupreem fruity, but I was able to switch. Right now I’m trying to get them to eat Oven Fresh Bites because I really like the ingredients.