• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help understanding cockatiel genetics

Tink65

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sandra Gould
Hi everyone.... I have a pair of tiels.... the female is lutino and the male is cinnamon pied I think. All the babies are little cinnamons with yellow in the wings. I don't know anything about the parentage of the two I have. I've been told that any cinnamons they produce are female. Is there a good understandable reference for cockatiel genetics? I'm really intrigued with this and I would like to hobby breed. I have owned birds for years (caique, african grey, conures, lovebirds and cockatiels), but never educated myself on the genetics of cockatiels. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi everyone.... I have a pair of tiels.... the female is lutino and the male is cinnamon pied I think. All the babies are little cinnamons with yellow in the wings. I don't know anything about the parentage of the two I have. I've been told that any cinnamons they produce are female. Is there a good understandable reference for cockatiel genetics? I'm really intrigued with this and I would like to hobby breed. I have owned birds for years (caique, african grey, conures, lovebirds and cockatiels), but never educated myself on the genetics of cockatiels. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me!
Do you understand genetics in general? Dominant, recessive, sexlinked, etc.?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Either you have a bunch of female offspring *OR* your hen is also a cinnamon, so all the offspring are cinnamon with males being split ino.

Can you share pictures of the parents and offspring?

If you have a black light you could put the hen under, that might help, too?

Tink65

Real Name
Sandra Gould
I will try and find a black light! In the meantime, here's a couple pics of them. In the pic of them both, does it look like she has cinnamon on her tail feathers? Also, i took a closeup of her tail. Thanks so much!

Attachments

Tink65

Real Name
Sandra Gould
Do you understand genetics in general? Dominant, recessive, sexlinked, etc.?
I have been reading but to be honest, it's not clicking for me yet lol.... I was hoping there was a cockatiel genetics for dummies lol

Tink65

Real Name
Sandra Gould
Either you have a bunch of female offspring *OR* your hen is also a cinnamon, so all the offspring are cinnamon with males being split ino.

I got a black light and here's a pic evablacklight.jpeg of the hen under the black light

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hen does appear to be a "dirty ino", but the chicks appear darker than dad who does appear to be cinnamon pied.

There's also a "cheek" mutation in there, I think.... such as yellow cheek? I'm not good with the "cheek" mutations but it does appear that a couple of the chicks cheeks appear slightly lighter than their sibling? Unless it's just the lighting?

Lovely tiel family! :)

Tink65

Real Name
Sandra Gould
@Monica is good with genetics :)
Hen does appear to be a "dirty ino", but the chicks appear darker than dad who does appear to be cinnamon pied.

There's also a "cheek" mutation in there, I think.... such as yellow cheek? I'm not good with the "cheek" mutations but it does appear that a couple of the chicks cheeks appear slightly lighter than their sibling? Unless it's just the lighting?

Lovely tiel family! :)
Thank you :) so, since she's a dirty ino, we might have boys and girls? Once I figure basics out, I'll tackle cheek mutations! Lots to learn :) no matter what though, they are so sweet. Love them! If you can think of any way to understand resources please let me know! Thanks so much for your help!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This is a good basic concept to understanding genetics.

And a bit on sex-linked.

She does appear to be cinnamon lutino, so if the chicks are indeed cinnamon, then yes, you could have males and females. Lighting however, they don't appear to be cinnamon to me. Could just be lighting/my screen though.

Tink65

Real Name
Sandra Gould
ok, thanks! I appreciate the links :)

Tink65

Real Name
Sandra Gould
This is a good basic concept to understanding genetics.

And a bit on sex-linked.

She does appear to be cinnamon lutino, so if the chicks are indeed cinnamon, then yes, you could have males and females. Lighting however, they don't appear to be cinnamon to me. Could just be lighting/my screen though.
Also, I think I also see the difference. I have one who is definitely cinnamon but the other two are darker! Eventually I will get better with this :)