• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

need help Teagan is not doing good

Status
Not open for further replies.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I posted before about Teagan starting to pluck, I know something is bothering her. My vet is out for the summer giving seminars so I went to another vet and she said she was fine. She did some bloodwork also but nothing showed up. Well I weighed her and she went from 346 to 320 grams, there has to be something wrong. I am checking for another vet or bringing her into Boston angel memorial animal hospital. I can't stop crying she was my first grey. Any ideas

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She has lost a bit of weight :( Did your avian vet check her poop? Did a throat and fecal swab?

What time of day did you weigh her? And what time of day did you previously weigh her? Make sure you do it at the same time each day. I would continue to monitor her weight if you aren't already doing so.

Can you describe her to us. Is she acting normal? Or a bit clumsy and perhaps a bit tired? Does she sit in one place, shivering and just plucking everything out? Is she eating good?

What kind of stress factors are going on right now in her life?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Going to ask some ?'s here....
have you been checking what she is eating and how much?
Is Teagan with the others or in a cage by herself.
Are the other birds keeping her from eating?
Stress can also cause plucking and depression can cause a bird not to eat...so something is going on in your house IF the testing is coming back negative....
Are you watching them during the day to see the reactions between your birds if they are out together?
Can you start giving her some warm comfort food by hand?
:hug8:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Her poop is good, I don't remember if she did a throat culture. She seems tired and she sits in one place or on me. No stress factor they all get along and they are not bothering her. She won't talk anymore or play. I don't think she is eating good

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
When she does move around, does she move slowly and possibly a bit clusmy? And when she flies (I cant recall if she is fully flighted), does she flight just straight and into things, or does she not bother to fly anymore?

Also it may take you to get a bit down and dirty, but have you thoroughly looked through her poop? I recommend doing the morning poops. I mean with gloves on (or bare hands) and look through it, making sure the poop doesnt have a "rust" color or any spots of blood. Make sure to smell it too. It may sound gross, but sometimes doing this can help catch anything that didnt show up in other poops.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
She has her own cage, she always liked to sleep by herself. She eats by picking and the others don't bother her. I have also put her in her cage to eat and stay calm. I do make food and just ade some warm food for her.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
She wasn't flighted when I got her but feathers are in and she had been practicing. She seems Ok with flying and she perches Ok also. I will do the poop thing you said.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with Teagan,so bare with Me OK? How old,male or female,how long has this been going on? What do You feed,do You have proper lighting(Full spectrum)?

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Teagan is 16 months I adopted her from a family who bought her but then didn't want her. She is a female but small her normal weight is 346. This plucking strted a few weeks ago and I took her to a vet I never used to have her checked out. She has always been a happy girl always talking up a storm in her own language:lol: They always have lighting also:hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( Oh no!! I hope the other vet is able to shed some light and help!!:(:hug8:I'd be concerned too.:(

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Denise something seems to be going on here. What time frame is that weight loss? If you can possibly get a second opinion, I would do so right away. In the meantime keep her warm. Will she take a formula feeding from you? Do you have a heat lamp that you could attach to her cage. Please let us know how we can help :hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I would take her to another vet. Did you weigh her at the same time as last time? Was this a gradual weight loss or a dramatic weight loss? Sending healing prayers your way. Good luck, praying it's not something serious.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Yes Pat I am going to take her for a second opinion. I tryed formula that I keep on hand but she would not take it. I a keeping her warm:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can someone recommend another Avian Vet in Denise's area?:huh:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Denise do you have the paperwork of lab results with you now?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Denise,I told You in PM that I would send some links-This one is real good and I thought it should be on the main board(It Is a Sticky in the African Grey Section)This info is NOT To scare You,but to give You the info You need for the Vet-As in What to test for Etc!
Common Diseases of the African Grey Parrots

Healing Thoughts and Prayers that All will Be OK:hug8:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
I would suggest seeking out another avian vet, weight loss and plucking can signal something more going on and sudden silence is another sign that you can not wait.

Please let us know what happens.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending good thoughts for Teagan :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Denise please keep us updated and let us know if you need help finding another avian vet. My prayers are with you and Teagan. :hug8:

Juhi882

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
sending prayers and positive thoughts your way!!
hope she gets better soon :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.