• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help regarding a cockatiel

puku

Moving in
Hello there! I have a male cockatiel named puku, i have been raising him since he was a child. Now he is 1.5 years old. There was a great bond between us. But for i had made a mistake. I thought of his loneliness and brought him a female cockatiel when he was around 2-3 months old, as i had to stay out for 4-5 hours outside. When he grew older,(during 1.5 age) he started mating with her and laid and an egg with her.(they didnt laid more than 1or 2 eggs)Puku started finding dark places around the corners. He even got into my bookself and teared my books into pieceswhen i stopped him from doing that he bit me. And thats what kept happening regularly.so, i noticed that he developed a fear on my hand for all of these. So i took advice from other people, they told me to give them a breeding box, which will make make them less aggressive. After giving them breeding box, Puku became so aggressive and territorial..... And i knew i made a grave mistake. Im afraid that he is no longer a tame bird. I need you guys advices about this. What should i do now? How can i make him tame again? I dont want to sell him, he is becoming annoying. He is staying in his cage all the day and never want to come out from this cage . I just want that old Puku again, those sweet memories with him. I still remember. That lil puku used to sleep at on my lap

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

Sorry to hear you got bad advice. The nesting box for sure would increase any already present aggressive behaviour.

Try and have a restart. Remove the nesting box if you haven't already done so. Be sure there are no nooks or dark spaces in the cage, have a nice natural branch up high to roost on.
During the day be sure the light is bright (if the weather is a bit grey where you live, invest in a nice LED lamp to brighten up the room. Then at nighttime, cover your birds and be sure they can sleep for 14 hours uninterupted. As the hormonal behavious subsides, you can revert slowly back to a 12/12 sleep schedule.

Include foraging activities inside and outside of the cage, and set up a nice play area with toys and treats, away from the book case (try and cover that up, or block it with something like towels while the birds are out in the room).

Keep in mind that, some of the traits your bird had as a chick, will not carry on over to adult life, that is just the way it is sometimes. But also, on the same token, they can also develop new aspects in the relationship with you.

I am not sure when cockatiels have their main moult, but if you suspect moulting (lots of little feathers everywhere), be sure to offer lots of bathing opportunities.