• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help please! My sweet GCC bites my family!

SammyBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Julie
IMG_0284.jpeg
Sammy Bird is my Cinnamon Green check conure. I got her from a pet store a little over a year ago - she was not hand fed and has always been fearful and nervous. That fear has always made her nippy but after a year of good and bad days working with her (and following a ton of videos on YouTube for advice), she's gotten to the point where she is really pretty great with me - she still nips me sometimes but it's VERY gentle compared to how it used to be. Like she's trying to communicate, not hurt me. I work from home and she is with me pretty much all day in my office. I adore her. She really is a sweetheart to me now. She's playful and funny and loves head scratches. We have no issues at all...

The problem:
She does not like my husband and 3 kids. I have 3 boys - 15, 13 and 7. When they come in the room, if I'm holding her she will bite me hard like she's trying to tell me something. That's the only time she still bites me hard enough to hurt. My 15 year old is a giant. He's over 6 feet tall and strong/wide like a line backer - and I think Sammy is terrified of him. He walks in the room and she jumps on him and will bite him hard. With my 13 year old, she seems less scared, she screams at him when he comes in but she hasn't bitten him yet because he basically gives her a wide berth. My 7 year old REALLY wants to be her friend so he keeps trying but she has bitten him too; Oddly enough, though, her pecks on him are a lot more gentle than on my oldest. On my oldest she's drawn blood a couple of times. On the little one she doesn't even leave a mark so it's like she somehow tries not to hurt him.

So, now I spend most of the time jumping in between them whenever she goes anywhere near them. Needless to say, that makes it really hard to have the family all together with her all the time. I really want her to be able to get along with all of them as much as she does with me but she doesn't seem to agree.

I love her, she's really the sweetest bird when it's just the two of us. I just wish she could be that way with the rest of my family too. I really need advice/help please. Any tips or tricks that have worked for you would be appreciated hugely. I'm willing to try anything!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Have the boys been able to give her treats [while she's inside her cage] ? Anything to avoid a bad contact/ conflict...
And they know enough to not speak badly or act out to her while you're not around? Birds DO REMEMBER !