• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help please, 3 week old cockatiel not eating. (Sad update post #20)

hawk1567

Moving in
Real Name
Mohamed Elyas
I recently got hold of a 3 week old cockatiel from a breeder. I was was hand feeding him for almost a week now and had no problems at all. Yesterday he started to try to vomit but nothing came out. Then today morning when I tried to feed, he wouldn't eat. I have tried to get hold of a vet but they are at least 2 hours drive from my place. I just wanted to know if i should really take him to a vet. Any advice would be very helpful. I am attaching a picture of how he sleeps. This is my first time posting, so please ask if you need any more details.

Attachments

hawk1567

Moving in
Real Name
Mohamed Elyas
Sorry to post again, but now I can hear a faint purring sound when he is breathing sometimes. Also he sneezed 5 to 6 time and some clear water like liquid came out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you do an online vet consult or contact the breeder? I don't have baby bird experience but will tag people. Also, he looks older than 3 weeks to me. This is also a really good baby tiel resource: www.ask-noodles.com

@Zara @karen256 @Mizzely @Ripshod

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can hear a faint purring sound when he is breathing sometimes. Also he sneezed 5 to 6 time and some clear water like liquid came out.
I would call the vet and inform them of this. See what they say about it. Sneezing with liquid coming out is not normal. Breathing sounds also usually indicate a problem.

hawk1567

Moving in
Real Name
Mohamed Elyas
I would call the vet and inform them of this. See what they say about it. Sneezing with liquid coming out is not normal. Breathing sounds also usually indicate a problem.
I couldn't bear watching him suffer and took him to the vet. It was aspiration because i didnt use the crop feeding technique. He got an antibiotic and the vet gave me an Emeraid IV today. Have to go see him again tomorrow. Thank you very much for.your care.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am glad you took him to the vet. I suspected aspiration. Check out the site I posted. It's very informative.

hawk1567

Moving in
Real Name
Mohamed Elyas
I will surely check it out. The age I said is the the age the breeder told me, but i do doubt him on that considering he made me buy wrong formula for the baby. The vet warned me not to use the formula and he said he will educate me on it tomorrow.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It was aspiration because i didnt use the crop feeding technique.
Feed using a small spoon. That is the method that is least likely to cause problems for a novice.

I don´t know what to say about the formula, different countries have different brands formulas available to them. It´s important it is a hookbill formula and not softbill. I like Nutribird A21, but there are plenty of other great brands.

Definitely check out the link Sunnysmom posted for you.
Here is some more info on handfeeding;

hawk1567

Moving in
Real Name
Mohamed Elyas
Feed using a small spoon. That is the method that is least likely to cause problems for a novice.

I don´t know what to say about the formula, different countries have different brands formulas available to them. It´s important it is a hookbill formula and not softbill. I like Nutribird A21, but there are plenty of other great brands.

Definitely check out the link Sunnysmom posted for you.
Here is some more info on handfeeding;
I have been looking into the link sunnysmom posted. currently I am just worried about how long will it take for him to recover from the current situation. He already got an anti Bacterial injection today, and I don't know if its related buy he was crying with his left wing out all the way until I reached home. I really hope he doesnt have to go.through the pain again tomorrow.
Also, he has started to Bob up and down asking for food, so that's an improvement and makes me alot happier.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he will be ok. Hopefully his wing didn't get hurt.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
I couldn't bear watching him suffer and took him to the vet. It was aspiration because i didnt use the crop feeding technique. He got an antibiotic and the vet gave me an Emeraid IV today. Have to go see him again tomorrow. Thank you very much for.your care.
He's fortunate to have you

hawk1567

Moving in
Real Name
Mohamed Elyas
He's fortunate to have you
I would have said thank you, but thinking that I was the sole reason to get him to this situation, I hate myself. I shouldn't have even got him at this age. I really hope he makes it to the other side.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would have said thank you, but thinking that I was the sole reason to get him to this situation, I hate myself. I shouldn't have even got him at this age. I really hope he makes it to the other side.
No good thinking like that! He’s with you now and you’re doing the best you can to do right by him!! That deserves a pat in the back I would think :)
He could and would have been sold to someone not as responsible and caring as you and he would be in a seriously bad situation then… be angry at the unethical person who sold you such a tiny baby bird-they will be the sole cause of many babies every year dying in horrible circumstances due to their interest in making more money for less work- highly unethical and selfish.
Transfer your negative thoughts off yourself and focus on this little guy :)

hawk1567

Moving in
Real Name
Mohamed Elyas
No good thinking like that! He’s with you now and you’re doing the best you can to do right by him!! That deserves a pat in the back I would think :)
He could and would have been sold to someone not as responsible and caring as you and he would be in a seriously bad situation then… be angry at the unethical person who sold you such a tiny baby bird-they will be the sole cause of many babies every year dying in horrible circumstances due to their interest in making more money for less work- highly unethical and selfish.
Transfer your negative thoughts off yourself and focus on this little guy :)
Thank you for all the positive word, but still I should have been more responsible. The guy sold him because there are naive guys like me who are looking to buy birds at this small age, so I should take the blame partially. I will do my best best to get him well. Thank you again.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for all the positive word, but still I should have been more responsible. The guy sold him because there are naive guys like me who are looking to buy birds at this small age, so I should take the blame partially. I will do my best best to get him well. Thank you again.
Do not blame yourself. If you didn't get him, he could have been in a much worse situation. I blame the breeder entirely. Babies that young shouldn't be sold. But many do because they don't want to go through the trouble of taking care of the babies themselves. Sadly.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
You're caring for him, you've nothing to feel bad about. All the best!

hawk1567

Moving in
Real Name
Mohamed Elyas
Today 16th of June, my Minni has died this morning. Thank you everyone for the support and care you have given. I really don't know what happened. He climbed on me, played with me, ate food normally, was trying to fly.and now he's gone. Thank you again for your care, God bless you all.