• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help on taming a conure

picopico

Moving in
Real Name
Jully
Hello all, I got a pair of conures (male and female both about 4 months old now) about two months ago. After two months of trying to tame them, the female warmed up and is very loving and amazing. But on the other hand, the male is still very scared of me and will run away when he sees my hands. The pair are bonded and live in the same cage. It's difficult to get one-on-one time with a male conure since they are bonded. The male will grab treats from my fingers/hand but will get away as far as he can when he gets the treat. I'm not sure what to do anymore one is super loving and sweet and the other is very scared.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to conures they are best of friends and play with each other outside of there cages and both love to preen they are both completely different birds when it comes to me one will step up all day and the other wont.

The one that wont i have had her for 9 months she does sometimes land on my had has recently started to nip at my hand just checking things out she is 16 months old approx.
My advice would be to try and relax and dont show your hand allow him to come to you he will but it will take time and and you need to be patient, KiKi see's Mojo all over my hands but she wont step up but she is coming to my hand now and nipping a little bit checking things out.

Try not to get frustrated as one of your cheekies is very loving and one doesnt appear to be they are different birds and 2 months isnt a long time for them to settle in things will change over the coming months.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just looking for a link i responded to that was more detailed to the same senario but couldnt find it :nocomment:

I will have a look again tomorrow when i can get on a laptop.