• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Need help, not bird related Didn't know where to post this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
My dog was barking his dang fool head off and I went outside to investigate. He had dug up some plants by my house and get barking and digging. He's not a digger so I knew another animal had to be involved. I moved a flower pot and there was a baby bunny hiding in the corner. Wasn't sure if it was alive or not, picked it up and it opened it's eyes. He has a puncture (only one) on his left side. It's not pouring out blood but it is continuing to bleed. I've called two vets and neither one will take the bunny. I'm waiting for a call back from animal control. I've cleaned the wound as best I could and put on neosporin. I have him in a shoe box with a blanket. I'm trying to find an eye dropper to give it some water or gatorade. Anything else I can try? I really don't think he is going to survive, so I might only be able to just give him some comfort in his final moments. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm over my head.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I think you're doing everything you can. Bunnies, like birds, go into shock easily.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks. He's still hanging in there.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I moved this to 911. Oh, poor bunny. If you can't get an eye dropper even the tip of your finger may work. Thank you for trying to help him.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks Marie. I've been using my finger. I found an eyedropper but I'm boiling it to sterilize it since I have no clue what it was used for last. For some reason karo syrup keeps coming to mind, but I'm not sure why.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh and thank you for moving this Marie. Wasn't sure since it's not bird related. Trying the eye dropper, bunny wants no part of it. The bleeding has stopped and I'm afraid to handle him too much, I don't want the movement to start him bleeding and I don't feel like forcing him to drink would be good. He might have internal injuries. I'm so afraid of hurting him more. Poor little guy is hurt enough.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
any wildlife rehabbers in your area Brigid? they should be able to help you with him - am sure you are already keeping him warm

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks GG, trying to find one now. Had one number I used a few years ago for 4 baby perigrin (sp) falcons but that number has been disconnected. Sigh. I am keeping the little guy (and man is he little) warm, I have a heating pad partially under one side of the box and he is snuggled in a towel. I want to give him a cool spot in case he gets too warm.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Awe, poor bebe bunny. :-( They never survived when I found little ones, they are just so delicate. I hope you find someone to help you.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I found a number here for the KY Wildlife Center - if they can't help, they might can refer you

Kentucky Wildlife Center

and another list of numbers here - I realize it is a little outdated, but you might get lucky

http://fw.ky.gov/rehablist.asp?lid=754&NavPath=C366

and another on the same site

http://fw.ky.gov/app1/rehablist.aspx

sounds like you are doing all you can right now :hug2:

Last edited:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Keeping my fingers crossed for this little guy!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Nature Conservancy or Shelter should also be able to help you.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor little guy, I hope he makes it.....

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
GG, you're the best. I just left a message on Karen's phone, the number the Wildlife center had on its' site. Hoping to hear from her soon. I really appreciate your help. Prayers and positive thoughts will be greatly appreciated too.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
sending prayers and healing energy for the little one

let us know when you hear something and how he does

:hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Brigid I know this is for NC but it is the # for ARC, they may be able to refer you to someone.704-552-2329 you will have to give your Zip Code that way they can have someone in your area contact you.

Hope it helps, if you have some greenery that you can put in there for it to eat or carrots to nibble on that should help to keep it going.

Luck

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks Ginger. Gosh, only 10% survive! That is so very sad :( He did take a few droplets of water.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thanks Patty. So far everything I've read says not to feed him anything, though do offer fluids such as water or pedialyte (sent my daughter to get some). It's important to keep him hydrated, warm, quiet and not handle him too much. Not to give him cow's milk, or any type of milk that was not designed for bunnies. Oh well, the common sense part of me says he's not going to make it, but the hopeful part of me won't give up. If nothing else, at least he won't die alone.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
since he is injured, you are on the right course - keeping him warm and quiet - a little water is ok off your fingers, but no food until you can get in touch with someone to assess him

as with most wildlife babies, feeding them when they are cold/shocky or the wrong foods or both causes even more problems

:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.