• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help: newborn baby lovebird!

Jeybird

Moving in
My female lovebird had an egg hatch last night! It's her first hatchling and she seemed to be taking good care of it with the male. But now it looks like it was pushed aside to a corner of the nest box and she's been sitting on her other eggs and not the baby :(

Is this normal, has she abandoned it? Should I intervene?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
She has probably abandoned it, and if you want it to survive you are going to need to intervene. You'll need to put it in a brooder at about 98 degrees and feed it formula every 90 minutes round the clock for the first three days.

Jeybird

Moving in
I was worried that might be the case so I set up a brooder and thankfully have formula.

I ended up getting a moment while she was distracted to scoop the baby up and place it back with the eggs. I think she fed the baby when she went back in the nest box (baby started peeping when it was back with the eggs and she went in to sit on them and was making happy chirps/there were breaks in the baby's chirping which I assume while it was eating) Im hoping she still wants to care for it and it was just inexperience not realizing she had to keep it close?

Im going to check in on the baby in a bit and if I find it pushed aside again Ill move it to the brooder. It'd be so tough to care for it when it's still so small, Im really hoping the mom still wants to care for it ‍ Im ready to try my best tho!

Jeybird

Moving in
I reached out to a friend who's a breeder and wanna share his response in case it's helpful for anyone else in a similar situation:

"Sometimes when they get scared the baby will be tossed to the side because it was wrapped around the leg and she inadvertently moved the baby. Unfortunately for some reason they don’t know how to pull them back into the nest to be under her. The baby should be fine once it warms up. No need to pull the baby for handfeeding at this time "

The baby does seem fine since I moved it back and momma's been caring for it!

Ill check in on them in the morning and hopefully theyre still good. Omgosh so stressful :scrstf: got the brooder still running and ready just in case.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
My female lovebird had an egg hatch last night! It's her first hatchling and she seemed to be taking good care of it with the male. But now it looks like it was pushed aside to a corner of the nest box and she's been sitting on her other eggs and not the baby :(

Is this normal, has she abandoned it? Should I intervene?
Chicks normally dont eat for the first day or so. They still have the remains of the egg sac to feed on. However if it is not crying for food on day2, or worse, is cold to the touch, it must be rescued

Jeybird

Moving in
Thank you all. So far so good, the baby is begging/being fed :heart:

I'm being more careful how much I check in on the nest. The mom has a habit of shooting out like a bullet! Im guessing that's how the baby got tossed. I was too excited about the hatchling and wasnt thinking how often it was causing her to leave the nest! >.<