• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help/information for 3 months old Caique

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Cold is awful. Human body temperature is fine. Warm and gooey cereal. Etc. But a wide mix of foodstuffs in small amounts. He is weaning and exploring.
I gave 3-4 cc of water at room temperature. I hope this doesn't cause any problems for my bird. As a cage, I currently have the Hagen Vision L11 model. I will switch to a larger cage as soon as possible. It was as if he sneezed 4-5 times in a row while he was sleeping. Is this situation normal?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Everything seem very normal about your caique. He will need several more weeks of handfeeding. Are you feeding formula. You do not want it to be more than 105 degrees but at this caiques are much more tolerant of cooler food temperatures. Also they are very much into exploring so you may have to try a few times and feed him when he is interested. If he is not hungry or too distracted by his desire to explore he may not be interested in eating at the moment so try again later. If he is totally not interested wait a few hours and offer food. If he does not want it one time he will the next.

At this age (I would agree he is the age 60-70 days old) I would be handfeeding three times a day. Most likely he will not eat much first thing in the morning and will eat more mid day and evening. I feed three times with a break of about 10 hours overnight. 12 hours is okay if it is over night but it makes it difficult to do the three feedings (they will be too close together and the baby may not feel like eating) so I prefer 10. I have babies this age and I am currently feeding them between 9-10 AM, 4-5 PM and 11-1 AM. I try for about 7 hours between feedings. I do it late into the night because I am awake then and not early morning but the times do not matter just he basic schedule.

You should put food and water in his cage and he will pick at it and eventually learn to eat it but most of his nutrition will come from the formula.

If you have or can get a scale that measures grams then it will be helpful to weigh him in the morning before feeding, write it down each day. This will help you to see if he is getting enough food. Also he will probably beg for food if he is not getting enough. I have some that are super loud about it and others that quietly peep and slowly bob their heads but you will learn what begging for food looks like.

Here is a video that might help, you may be feeding with a spoon but the idea is to slowly place it in their mouth and allow them to swallow it.

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Everything seem very normal about your caique. He will need several more weeks of handfeeding. Are you feeding formula. You do not want it to be more than 105 degrees but at this caiques are much more tolerant of cooler food temperatures. Also they are very much into exploring so you may have to try a few times and feed him when he is interested. If he is not hungry or too distracted by his desire to explore he may not be interested in eating at the moment so try again later. If he is totally not interested wait a few hours and offer food. If he does not want it one time he will the next.

At this age (I would agree he is the age 60-70 days old) I would be handfeeding three times a day. Most likely he will not eat much first thing in the morning and will eat more mid day and evening. I feed three times with a break of about 10 hours overnight. 12 hours is okay if it is over night but it makes it difficult to do the three feedings (they will be too close together and the baby may not feel like eating) so I prefer 10. I have babies this age and I am currently feeding them between 9-10 AM, 4-5 PM and 11-1 AM. I try for about 7 hours between feedings. I do it late into the night because I am awake then and not early morning but the times do not matter just he basic schedule.

You should put food and water in his cage and he will pick at it and eventually learn to eat it but most of his nutrition will come from the formula.

If you have or can get a scale that measures grams then it will be helpful to weigh him in the morning before feeding, write it down each day. This will help you to see if he is getting enough food. Also he will probably beg for food if he is not getting enough. I have some that are super loud about it and others that quietly peep and slowly bob their heads but you will learn what begging for food looks like.

Here is a video that might help, you may be feeding with a spoon but the idea is to slowly place it in their mouth and allow them to swallow it.
Thank you for your time! I will buy the scale as soon as possible and note it. I will keep you informed of the whole process.

Also, I will write down all the details here, both because my bird is baby and because I am inexperienced in parrot care. If someone like me can get some information by reading here, thanks to you.

Right now, he is sleeping like a little angel ☺

IMG_20200906_003400.jpg

Attachments

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Good morning

This morning he ate banana, Apple, nectarine, carrot, some seeds and five nuts. After this I tried to feed with hand food but he didn't eat much it. Should I give first hand food? Also I recorded videos while he is eating.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Enjoy getting to know your caique! Have you named him?

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
For any of you guys following this thread, Anil has shared a few hundred videos of Peanut with me on Whatsapp.

The baby is in fine form, eating well, and looks relaxed and happy.

Two things are obvious
1) Anil REALLY loves that bird
2) He is doomed to be a birdie slave from now on lol

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
For any of you guys following this thread, Anil has shared a few hundred videos of Peanut with me on Whatsapp.

The baby is in fine form, eating well, and looks relaxed and happy.

Two things are obvious
1) Anil REALLY loves that bird
2) He is doomed to be a birdie slave from now on lol
Thank you so much, John, for all your help. Whatever I asked day or night, I could get an instant answer. Here is our little Peanut,

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Hello guys,

We bought a new cage for Peanut! After talked with John he said Caiques like climbing after that I decided to buy it. You can see the photos below. Also, if you have any suggestion for his cage or to Peanut please let me know :)

IMG_20200909_120059.jpg

IMG_20200909_124139.jpg

IMG_20200909_124146.jpg

IMG_20200909_124151.jpg

IMG_20200909_124155.jpg

IMG_20200909_124159.jpg

IMG_20200909_124204.jpg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Peanut is adorable! Enjoy the cutie pie! :loveshower:

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
I want to give a general summary,

Until now, Peanut is doing fine :). We occasionally had various problems, and thanks to John I was able to overcome most situations without panic.

For those who want to read this topic and share their views, I will share some of the situations we have experienced below.

1. A few days ago there was a small red streak spot under the beak of the Peanut. Then this stain was scattered under its beak and shaped like a collection of blood. I have consulted a few veterinarians, not sure what exactly happened. It is very difficult to find veterinarians who take care of birds in my location. What the vets say maybe an allergic cause or there is a possibility of hitting somewhere. As far as I can see, this stain has started to decrease gradually now.

InkedIMG_20200918_115502_LI.jpg

2. The problem of breaking the pellet and hard feeds. For now, to solve this problem, I crush the pellet to feed myself and put it in its container. I can't be sure if he can eat it exactly but I'm trying to follow it.

3. We are still continuing with the formula. According to the suggestions in the forum, I started to give formula 3 times a day. Then I adjusted it according to the Peanut's request for food. I give 20 CC food 2 or 3 times a day. I am still not sure exactly when I should stop giving the formula :what:

4. I created a general entertainment area by buying various toys in his cage. Also, I thought it would be good for Peanut nails by buying 1 sandy perch. Of course on John's advice.

IMG_20200917_195756.jpg

IMG_20200917_195745.jpg

IMG_20200917_195739.jpg

5. The veterinarian suggested that I drop the vitamin Aminosol 2 drops a day into the water. For now, I have been dropping 2 drops in its water, but again I'm not sure if it is the correct behavior. As I said, the veterinarians in my place don't know much about the birds :(

6. According to the information I got from the person I adopted when I opened this subject, Peanut was only 55-60 days old. Now I'm not sure again, but Peanut is just a 70-75-day baby Caique.

7. He spends more time outside with us than in his cafe. He makes him love so much and I think he likes it a lot :)

8. For now, according to the season in the place where I am fruit/vegetable; Broccoli, Green Pepper, Red Pepper, Green Bean, Arugula, Spinach, Peach, Tangerine, Pineapple, Purple Plum, Nectarine, Pear, Carrot, Grape, Apple. I give these daily in small portions. He likes it quite :)

9. As dried nuts; We try to give Fresh Hazelnut, Cashew, Peanut, Fresh Walnut, Carob, Popcorn. I try to keep the portions small.

These are all we've been through for now. Again, I will share with you when there is a situation :heart2:

Special thanks to @Irishj9 :heart:

IMG_20200920_145341.jpg

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Peanut is so adorable!!

Thank you for posting this thread. I just got a Caique and he's going on three months next week. I was worrying about his feet and everything and found all the post so informative. I'm feeling a bit over my head currently with him.

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Let's continue with our general summary :)

1-) I always left the door of his cage open because he could not fly fully yet. While working one day, he suddenly flew out of his cage, hit the glass, and fell to the ground. I did not know what to do with the current panic and I picked it up and placed it on a soft floor. After the first hit, it was shaking continuously for 5 minutes and couldn't stand. After about 10 minutes he recovered, ate his ate pellets, and drank water. I immediately got information about this situation by sending a message to my Vet and John. As far as I understand, there is not much that can be done in such accidents. They were told to follow up for 24 hours. Thank God nothing bad happened to him after 24 hours.

2-) I still continue to give him hand food. Now he has started to break the pellets, but he continues to ask for hand food. According to John, he will not want the hand food after a while.

3-) I bought him lots of new toys, perches, pellets, and even bath sprays. He is very happy with his toys :)

4-) I try to give him small portions of fruit/vegetables during the day. Sometimes he eats but sometimes he just plays with them.

5-) His nails were really sinking and scratching. My hands and feet were extremely scratched and scarred. Thanks to John's suggestion, I got a sandy perch and after about 1-week his nails were in a pretty good condition.

IMG_20200925_172409.jpg

That's all for now :heart2:

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I wasn't able to give an update for a while. Everything was going fine till now. I was getting suspicious of a move he was doing with his head. Sometimes he was getting out the seeds he eats with that move.

This Saturday morning I gave him orange and pomelo and at night I noticed that his crop (might not be the right word, I don't know if it is but...) was kind of swollen. After some research, I found out it was a "sour crop" illness. All the moves he did, the seeds he pukes, and the sourdough smell in the seeds he puked were also pointing to sour crop. As I mentioned before, I couldn't find any vets that know about birds in the area I'm living in, I reached out to at least 7~10 vets and even reached out to vets that were out of my town and they just said they don't have much knowledge about birds. Regardless, two vets still told me they do know one or two things about birds. When I asked them about this both of them told me those were sour crop symptoms and told me to start using some medicine asap. For treatment, they recommended a medicine called "Triflucan". Told me to either give 1 drop directly to his mouth, two times a day or drop 3~4 drops to his water for 5 days. They didn't tell me anything else than this for the treatments.

From what I've seen his energy was fine and there were no issues with his eating. I'm cleaning his cage daily, washing his seed and water bowls with children's shampoo, and thoroughly rinse them out. I really don't know how or where he got this illness from. For this reason, I need help. Do you know anything about this illness and what should I be doing during this time?

As an addition to the treatment, vets told me to give him probiotics and multivitamins for 3 days each. If it would help, the food I give him is those; Versele Laga P15 Pelet, Tropica Pelet, Versele Laga Paraket seeds, branch millet, nuts. I'm trying to not give him too many fruits and when I do, I try to keep the portions small. I think I gave him almost all the exotic fruits till now, for variety. For the vegetables, I wash them thoroughly and clean them off with vinegar and give it to him with together the pellet seeds.

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

About 5 minutes ago Peanut vomited again. This time I didn't give any fruits or vegetables. Just gave him pellets.

When he sees me near his cage or see my finger he does this neck movement.

After this neck movement, he vomited pellets. I took the picture of the pellets he vomited.

Could you please help me? I don't know what should I do. As I said before there are no avian vets too. I started his medicine today but It will officially be a super blind treatment.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 6.39.29 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 6.39.29 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 6.39.29 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-17 at 6.39.29 PM.jpeg

@saroj12 @Matto @Zara

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Have you already been to the vet?

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Have you already been to the vet?
Honestly, there are no veterinarians I haven't gone to. But none of them have detailed information about birds. They only listen to what I have said and offer a diagnosis and treatment. They didn't do any testing or analysis. In my country, veterinarians only have information about cats, dogs, and cattle.