• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help/information for 3 months old Caique

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

I've adopted a little 3 month old Caique parrot today. The person I've got it from said that it was 3 month old and can not eat seeds yet and he was saying that he's been hand feeding it 20cc, 2 times a day but I'm not sure if it is true or correct way to go about it?

I don't have any previous experience with parrots I just had to adopt it. Because of it I really need a map of things to do and not do. Sadly the first mistake I did was feeding it the food by wetting it with tap water. I've tried to feed it 5cc, it was 30c but from what I've learned later it shouldn't have been below 39c. It's the first day of the parrot at the house and I really need help about what I should be doing and watching out for. It can't even walk properly yet, I think it might be even younger than 3 months old.

I've also made an imgur album with some pictures of the parrot, if it would help give an idea about it.

Also added a pic of it's poop which I thought looked a bit off, is it fine or something is off? :(

Album link:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hang tight, you'll get some in depth answers once members get online.
Handfeeding is not something we advise for new parrot owners, but if you're stuck doing it you'll need some help.
Stick around.

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
Hang tight, you'll get some in depth answers once members get online.
Handfeeding is not something we advise for new parrot owners, but if you're stuck doing it you'll need some help.
Stick around.
Thank you so much! Yes, I kind of had to adopt it. Because they were thinking of releasing him to nature due to allergies of their children that appeared after they got the parrot. I thought it wouldn't be able to live by itself in such situation out there so, I couldn't ignore it.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
I have suspicions about its' feet but I'm not sure if it is normal or not. I just feel like it is not using its' feet properly but can clench them powerfully. Is it about baby think? Additionally, I got an answer from old owner he said it is 60~70 days old.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Laurie @Irishj9

Yes, food should be fed at 40C (105F). Feed it on a little metal spoon.
Be sure to keep the little one in a warm place, the bird must be kept warm to help him digest the food.

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
@Laurie @Irishj9

Yes, food should be fed at 40C (105F). Feed it on a little metal spoon.
Be sure to keep the little one in a warm place, the bird must be kept warm to help him digest the food.

Thank you for answering my questions. Also, how can I give water after the hand feeding or should I give water?

So my bird's feet are normal?

Ryukein

Meeting neighbors
I'm really crying while writing here because I'm so scaring about my bird. I want so much to give my bird good care and a good home :( But I don't have any experience about parrots. My last lovebird passed away at the age of 18. That's why I was very sad and I hadn't adopted a bird after that day.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
how can I give water after the hand feeding or should I give water?
Just leave a shallow bowl available.

Try not to let him walk on that grey floor, it´s not good for his feet while he is still developing (can´t grip it properly, too smooth).

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have suspicions about its' feet but I'm not sure if it is normal or not. I just feel like it is not using its' feet properly but can clench them powerfully
I tagged a couple of memebrs who have experience with caique chicks and youth development, so hopefully they will be able to take a look at your videos when they are online.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
There's nothing wrong with that poop
At 3 months stop obsessing about exact food temperature. Human temperature is fine. Not hotter than your finger.
Wet and warm is fine

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
At 3 months stop obsessing about exact food temperature. Human temperature is fine. Not hotter than your finger.
Wet and warm is fine
I would think tap water is far too cold?
The little one is just over 2 months old.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
He's a climber not a walker. They all walk funny. His clenching ability allows him to climb trees in the forest. He can also hang all his bodyweight off his beak without effort.

What he needs from you right now is space for his personality to develop.
A quiet place for his cage where he feels safe, not exposed, and where he can see everyone.
Food in abundance. Fruit, pellets, oatie biscuits, scrambled egg. Let him waste it. Food is security
Routine. He thrives on it and needs the security of an unchanging schedule
My guys will play in their cages all day without much noise because they are 100% sure they will be out flying about for an hour at bedtime.
Their cages are huge btw

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I would think tap water is far too cold?
The little one is just over 2 months old.
Cold is awful. Human body temperature is fine. Warm and gooey cereal. Etc. But a wide mix of foodstuffs in small amounts. He is weaning and exploring.