• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help finding a good bag food for my lovebirds

pinkfeathe

Moving in
Hello I am new to the avenue my name is Linda I have two lovebirds and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best bag food to buy for my lovebirds is, they are very picky and I am also having a hard time trying to get them to eat fruit. I hope I am on the right road for this thread I would appreciate any advice that I could get thank you

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue Linda :hiya:

Sharing what country you are in might be helpful for others regarding giving you food suggestions. Not all foods are available worldwide.

Vegetables are a much healthier option to feed our companion birds and there are so many suggestions as to how to try them, it is also a long road to get them to accept veggies and other foods so patience and consistency is helpful. @Zara is a wealth of information especially on lovebirds and @Mizzely has some awesome diet information on her site (hopefully she will link it for you)

pinkfeathe

Moving in
I am from the United States thank you very much I have been trying to introduce them to more fruits and vegetables but it's like having a child that only wants chicken nuggets. I am working hard to make sure they get the right nutrition that they need thank you so much

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can compare pellet ingredients here: Pellets for Parrots

Realistically, any pellet that your birds will eat is fine. For picky birds, I've had really good luck with Zupreem Fruity.

I don't fuss about fruit too much and push more veggies, sprouts, and grains. Try to vary the size. My Jardine's won't mess with finely chopped veggies but likes large chunks, whereas my linnie is the opposite :lol:

You may also like this thread:

pinkfeathe

Moving in
Thank you so much my girl lovebird China is only doing what her partner is doing and sunny is so fussy. I only want the best for them but like I said they are like children who only want chicken nuggets but I'm more determined than ever I will check out the thread I appreciate it so much thank you

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I used to have a budgie who didn't eat veggies for 2 years...I would offer them daily. Peas finally interested him, eventually! Patience, persistence, and consistency is key. A varied diet is extremely important...don't give up!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My lovebirds like Hagen tropican. I give them Psittacus when I can't get hagen, and recently I found some zupreem natural on a sweet deal and they took to that so I went back for another 4 kilos.
But really, it is as Mizzely said above, any pellet they eat is fine. The unfortunate part is trying them all to see which they like.
Just offer small amounts in the bowl as to lessen waste, I toss out pellets daily to keep them fresh.

My birds don't really like fruit, one pair loves strawberries, and another likes orange, but mainly I feed veggies. Peas are a hit in our house. They also enjoy peppers very much, I usually offer long green italian peppers, and large red bell peppers. Try offering finely diced, as mash, in large pieces, as well as whole (washed with stalk removed) and see which they are more interested in.
Sprinkling a pinch of seed on top of veggies can also help to get them interested. Even if giving a piece of veg, you can wet it under the tap then sprinkle the seeds on so they stick.

pinkfeathe

Moving in
I try very hard to give them fruit they're just too stubborn LOL I love them all the same I'll keep trying they're starting to get bored with the food that I got them I'll just keep trying different foods like you suggested, now I'm wondering what spices I can simmer around my birds?