• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help Bonding With Amazons

SkyDancer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
Hi guys! So some of you have been following my posts of Pikachu, Grinchie and Yoshi, our 3 Amazon boys.

These boys were rescued (altogether) from owners whose health was declining. They’ve been living together in an outdoor aviary (from what I understand) for the past 1-2 years.

Beforehand, all 3 were handleable. Grinchie is around 23 and is a BF Male. Pikachu is estimated to be around 12 (but not positive) and is a DYH Male. Yoshi is around 12 and is a BF Male.

They have always lived together. I got them a corner cage and put it in our living room so that they could be in the center of everything going on. I ordered probably $400 worth of toys. They have everything from hanging blocks to shred to paper straws to boxes to various perches and even a large bird bath. They are getting Mazuri pellets with fresh fruits and vegetables every day.

They have shown minimal to no interest in any of the wood or paper toys. Pikachu and Grinchie did like the foraging toys I put up. I hung a skewer with a bunch of veggies and some fruit and it seemed to be a hit.

Their cage is a play top and I leave the cage door open all day for them to come and go as they please, but they never really seem to come out of the cage and when I reach in to clean the cage or hang a toy, the boys either back up or lunge and try to bite.

What are some favorite treats for Amazons? How would you recommend starting to bond and build a relationship with these guys?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions on where we go from here. We love our boys and want to give them the best life possible.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Where do I start...

Read them a book. They need to hear your voice. Kids books are fun.

Treats. Something high value that you offer through the bars of the cage. If you're scared of being bitten, get a LARGE wooden spoon and offer the treat from it.

Pistachios UNSALTED ONLY were big hits here with both amazons up until Secret became ill.

Cooked sweet potatoes are yummy.

I always buy organic if I possibly can. These birds are so tiny that just a bit of pesticide could do them in.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Grinchie reminds me of MC.