• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help bird abandoned!

jakedowl10

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jake
Hi guys so this is a weird story, so i'm known for loving birds in my neighborhood because I hand raised my fischer's lovie myself so i'm kinda known as the bird man in a way lol, anyway when i was home alone last week and my parents were out (i'm under 18) I went out to bring rubbish to the bin and found a cockatiel in a budgie cage outside the door with a note that said "please take care of me my owner can't." So my parents and I agreed to keep him temporarily once I got him inside. Now it actually turns out he's very sweet just really scared. He and my lovie are all sweet on each other when I let them out supervised of course but he's very scared of people. So the problem is my parents want me to get rid of him so I asked around and put him up on selling sites but no one wants him because of his nerves. However I would be happy to keep him even if he doesn't tame down just as company for my lovie in the day when i'm away in the day even though they'd be in separate cages but in the same room. Problem is my parents won't let me keep him so i'm not sure what to do, what's all your guys advice? (sorry for the long post btw)

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Is there a way you can "negotiate" with your parents. Are they worried about mess........about expense.......noise? See if you can come to some kind of balance where their concerns are addressed and met and you get to keep the bird. Good luck.

jakedowl10

Real Name
Jake
They're worried about mess because of the cockatiel being so much bigger than my lovebird. I'm going to see if I can negotiate but i'm not sure I can see it happening because they actually hate birds just my lovie was given to me by a family member when she was 2 weeks old and the rest of the birds i've only had for 2 months max for taming and then sold on, but thanks for the response!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
TBH, I have both species, and my lovebirds are significantly messier than tiels. Even when I just had the one, Guzma made a huge mess compared to her.

Have you considered asking your parents to keep your birds in your room? As long as you get a good humidifier and/or purifier for air quality, I don't see why the tiel would even bother your parents.

jakedowl10

Real Name
Jake
TBH, I have both species, and my lovebirds are significantly messier than tiels. Even when I just had the one, Guzma made a huge mess compared to her.

Have you considered asking your parents to keep your birds in your room? As long as you get a good humidifier and/or purifier for air quality, I don't see why the tiel would even bother your parents.
The birds are kept in my room anyway, all care is done by me for all my pets, I have 2 dogs too, and my parents don't interact with them at all or even notice they exist tbh they just don't like when I get new animals because they think i'll just want more and more

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope things work out and you get to keep him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe just explain that it will take some time to find a home (obviously, since someone dumped him on your doorstep) and that you need more time.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Have the family member who gave you your lovebird agree to adopt the cockatiel, keep it for a while and decide they don't want it and give that one to you, too. As a gift of course. ;) Or they could ask you to watch it for them while you're on summer break and not take it back. :shrug2: