• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help (baby linnie)

jbarkan

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jill Barkan
Hi everyone,
I have a new linnie, Carlos. I think he might be about 6-7 months old. Purchased him in the October 2014 timeframe.
He loves me petting him under his beak and on his head. He stays on me, running all over the place most of the time.
I try to get him to play with his toys, but I need to be close, so he can jump on me every few minutes.
If I walk away from the cage he starts yelling.
He is also exhibiting these weird crying sounds when I leave for work.
I spend an enormous time with him every night and morning--- but I think its not enough.
I have a very small apartment and really only wanted 1 bird...
Any thoughts on how to soothe him during the day when I am not home! any tricks of the trade?

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
I know other birds like the television or radio on! Poor baby....

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also have a young Linnie. I observed what kind of toys he likes best and found it to be those with leather strips and small beads. He is quiet content inside his cage after a morning out of about 3 hours. I know they are cute but you are responding to his calls. If he is safe and just calling you for attention you may want to train him to be more content when you are not home. Check out these toys here leather bird toys on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace. By the way they do much better with a cage mate. Two Linnies are not much more trouble than one.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I have two linnies. They are practically one bird. Whatever one does, the other does and they "talk" to each other if they get separated. Another linnie would be a good idea. My two are still enjoy my company even though they have each other.

jbarkan

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jill Barkan
thanks guys, great ideas.. But did you purchase the 2 linnies together? I am worried he may not accept another bird?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just go slow and have the new one in a separate cage for a while. My Linnie loves to go to my budgies cage ant sit beside her. If I did not have Daisy would get another Linnie.

KayKhaos

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaylea
Wish you luck on your choice, I would say go for it on the 2nd linnie! I've had mine for 8 months now, she's pretty good on her own but I knew Loki is lonely when we cannot be with her. Finally got a 2nd one.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just do not put two females together. Most species if female will not like eachother if housed together.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Just go slow and have the new one in a separate cage for a while. My Linnie loves to go to my budgies cage ant sit beside her. If I did not have Daisy would get another Linnie.
oh, just go ahead and send that beautiful daisy to me:D:dance4::heart:

Joelle

Walking the driveway
I'm sure he would love a friend to spend the days with when you are not at home.
I have two linnies and I know they are happier together, always chattering or calling to each other (so cute watching them interact). I read that wild linnies stay in pairs within a larger flock, so they may need a feathered friend more than some other species.
Hi everyone,
I have a new linnie, Carlos. I think he might be about 6-7 months old. Purchased him in the October 2014 timeframe.
He loves me petting him under his beak and on his head. He stays on me, running all over the place most of the time.
I try to get him to play with his toys, but I need to be close, so he can jump on me every few minutes.
If I walk away from the cage he starts yelling.
He is also exhibiting these weird crying sounds when I leave for work.
I spend an enormous time with him every night and morning--- but I think its not enough.
I have a very small apartment and really only wanted 1 bird...
Any thoughts on how to soothe him during the day when I am not home! any tricks of the trade?