• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help/advice! (quail question)

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
A lady I know found a baby bob white quail. It was soaked and freezing, it's nest got washed away in a rain storm we had. She is scared to keep it cause she fears it is going to die on her. I told her I would take it in and ween it at least. I have hand fed parrots (cockatiels) and have lots of exp with parrots of all sizes and finch/canaries as well. I have however never had a quail or any game bird. I do have a local farm store so getting food for it will be easy but I just need some pointers so it will grow to be healthy. (our local wildlife rescue program is a JOKE so please dont say to call them.) No idea how old it is but it is feathered. I dont have it yet she is bringing it in a few hrs. As I live in town, it will have to be inside. I know i must quarantine it from my parrots. (he is gonna have to be a bathroom bird for a bit) I have AIL and scatt so mites shouldn't be a problem if he does have them.

I just need some general advice/cage setup ideas. Thank you!

1149001_378741395586310_2046171081_n.jpg

photo i was just sent of it.

Last edited:

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
I don't know anything about them but keep us posted as he grows.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

aisia

Real Name
Teresa
So I have him....and he must of just hatched like yesterday. He is that small. I have a heat lamp on him and am giving him baby bird formula atm. I looked him over for mites but didnt see anything. (scared to spray him with anything since he is so small) He is seprated from the rest of my birds. He is in my kitchen.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just keep him warm with a small flat dish filled with small rocks and water' then another dish or sprinkled straight on the bottom of his bed some "turkey crumble" or "chicken scratch" .Baby quail are on they're own from day one even though they follow mom and dad around and watch the parents do everything. That's how they learn, but really, a wildlife rehab could be best because they may have some babies about the same age that he could be put in with. Good luck with the little cutie.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Quail do not need to be hand fed and weaned like a parrot. The heat lamp is important as is something on the bottom that will keep him from getting splay leg. Use a small flat dish (I used the top of Tupperware containers) with water. Parrot formula works great but like someone said above, you want to get a game bird pellet or scratch. I also supplied calcium (the two hens I had laid ALL the time) and also millet and small seeds when they got older. For the babies I would run the pellets/scratch through a coffee grinder to make it as thin as possible. They LOVE fresh foods so offer those chopped up also. :)

aisia

Real Name
Teresa
Thank you. I only did the hand formula because he wouldnt eat when we first got him. but I just cought him a few minutes ago pecking at his food so yay. I have padding on the bottom of his cage and his heat lamp. I will get him quail food tomorrow. right now I have very fine finch seed and dry baby formula down for him to eat just on the bottom of his cage at. I have his water in a container where he cant get in to drown just poke his beak down in to drink. I will change it out to a flat dish with rocks and water tomorrow as well. Thank you for all the advice. I also gave him a fuzzy teddy bear to sleep against to help with warmth and lonleyness.

aisia

Real Name
Teresa
Some ppl prefer fish aquariums for them...should I get that or a cage? Want him to be comfy.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I always kept the babies in a container until they got older just to keep the warmth in. I think either a tank or a cage will work. Of course the cage can't have grate since they don't climb :)

aisia

Real Name
Teresa
Do babies sleep a lot? This little guy will eat and drink then sleep....every once in a while run around for a few minutes peeping then sleep...

Never had a quail so not sure.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Poor little guy seems lonely.

Have you contact any local wildlife centers?

aisia

Real Name
Teresa
not yet. I've had bad exp with them in the past. Once I was even told to just let the baby bird be and if it dies..its nature.

I wanna see if I can help him first.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read that quail need game bird starter because they require more protein than chickens. That's about all I know about quail. :D Good luck with him!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was wondering how your little quail is? I also remembered that there is a wildlife rehabber member (Penny I think) in Oklahoma but I cannot for the life of me remember her user name.:confused: