• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Need emergency help for my budgie (Warning: Graphic Photos) Good update#9

Dilawar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dilawar
Hello!
I really need help as my babie budgie somehow got hold of a thread and got it wrapped around its leg and the stick in its cage. By the time i found out it had chewed its foot . Now the part above the knee is fine but the bone below the knee is poking out. It keeps chewing on the wound and took the cast off that i put on the leg. There are no vets where i live and i will need to solve it myself. Is the chewing going to heal it(i doubt it) he ate his bone that was poking out and i don’t want him to chew above the knee joint. I keep spraying wound spray on it but should i amputate the leg or will he only chew up to the joint? If i need to amputate it how should i put him to sleep? I will attach pictures i took but the bone that is poking out he has chewed off. Pictures have blood in them!

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Can you please tells where you are so we can help find avian vet?
We are not avian veterinarians and can only tell you basic care. Keep him/her warm, quiet, fed and hydrated. This wound needs a avian veterinarian's care asap.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly speaking, if you don't have a skilled avian vet who is confident operating on tiny budgies and who is able to provide follow-up care, I think euthanasia is the only kind option.

This is not something that you can fix yourself. You should not attempt to amputate the leg yourself. There is no safe way to anaesthetise a bird - or anyone really - without the proper drugs and skilled monitoring. Wound spray is not going to help such a traumatic injury - it's intended for minor cuts and scrapes, not exposed bone. Your bird is in terrible pain, has lost a significant amount of blood, and is suffering from an injury that cannot get better without extremely good, expert veterinary care. Please contact your nearest vet and ask them to put your bird to sleep.

It's a painful decision to make, but I really think you don't have any other option. I'm sorry that this is happening to your little one.

Dilawar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dilawar
How is your little one doing?
Oh yes sorry, hello!

So after I was told to put him down i was ready to put him down by the end of the night if i did not carry out the surgery, i spoke to my mum and she told me not to put him down and try to cut the broken bone off if i am able to. She also told me to keep applying this remedy oil that she always has and always uses on all of our injuries. I waited for my dad to come home that night so we could do the surgery and when we got ready i picked him up we noticed that he has eaten up to the joint and he wrapped the skin around it (probably how the heal themselves in the wild)and the skin was already drying up so he told me to leave him and the wound should heal. I kept applying the remedy oil and the next day i noticed the leg had swollen up. Probably infection which was my biggest fear. I found some antibiotics suitable for birds and worked out-his dosage and put it in his water as well as some paracetamol for the pain. The first few days of the injury he seemed very weak ,did not speak and i was able to grab him very easily. But today when i woke up he was speaking and its been much harder to grab him so he is more active now. Still the leg is a little bit swollen but i think the antibiotics should take care of it. He sleeps a little more than usual but i think he will get better very soon.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he continues to improve! Please keep us updated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Perhaps you have a miracle.

Zara