• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Diet advise for java finches

Twinkle*

Moving in
I have recently taken in 4 java sparrows who, due to their elderly owners ill health have been neglected.

They were being fed classic egg food, red egg food, grit, millet and some sort of seed mix.

I have had them about 2 days and have been giving then chopped veggies with egg food and organic budgie seed mix sprinkled on it.

How often/do they need grit?
Any and all recomendations welcome.

Many thanks

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, are they able to eat all the seeds in the budgie mix? I ask because my little divas won't eat slightly larger seeds. But of course, Javas are pretty good sized.

You do not need grit per se. They do need calcium, so crushed oyster shell can be useful, or egg shells, or a supplemental calcium product. A calcium block and/or a cuttlebone is good for beak conditioning - but don't count on that to be the sole source of calcium.

Also.... if you can sprout some seeds, that will add a lot of nutrition to the diet. And try to vary things, change up which veggies you're giving, add in some quinoa or oat groats, give them crushed nuts or flaxseed or flowers (Like hibiscus, nasturtiums). These are just some ideas mostly from what I fixed this morning :laugh:

Don't cut them back too much on seed, finches need seed.