• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need canary advice

TMS9539

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Terri
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I want to get a canary, but I want to make sure I do it right. I haven't had a bird since I had a pet budgie as a child. There is a lot of conflicting information out there on the internet. First, can I get a single male, or will he be lonely? I've read not to keep 2 males together. I could get a male and a female, but I don't want them to breed. Is there a way to prevent it? Would it be better to have one male and several females? Is a 30x18x18 cage big enough? I'm trying to decide between that and a 32x18x37 with a stand. How should I furnish the cage? I want to get all set up and make sure I'm prepared before I actually get the birds. What about food? If I'm reading correctly it should be a mixture of seed, pellet, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Is that correct? Thank you in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions but this is a start. Thank you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Terri! :starshower1:

I could get a male and a female, but I don't want them to breed. Is there a way to prevent it?
Fake eggs.

between that and a 32x18x37 with a stand
This second cage would be great. Just double check that the bar spacing is not too wide.

@Clairecanary15

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hello and welcome!

Sounds like your'e doing it right. Personally, I see my male canaries being a little lonely if they're left alone, so I keep more than one. You can put a male in the same cage with a hen, or 2 hens together but you can't do 2 males (actually Claire Canary does but I'll let her tell you about that). Mine can be side by side (I have a cage with a divider) and they can fly loose in the room together, just not live in a smallish cage together.

Your diet idea sounds good. The 30x18x18 is the smallest cage I recommend for one pair of canaries. Here's a short article about getting started. It says for finches but I treat finches and canaries the same.

TMS9539

Real Name
Terri
Thank you all so much. I've decided to get a male and a female and use the dummy eggs to prevent breeding. I'm too worried that one alone will be lonely. I have one more question. I spoke to a breeder yesterday and was planning on purchasing them both from her. However, a local pet store has a very sad and forlorn little canary that is being kept under artificial lighting way past natural darkness. I really want to buy him to get him out of there. I don't know what type of canary he is - the store doesn't know. Would it be okay to buy him and then buy a hen from a breeder - or would it be better to get them both from the same place? Does it matter if say, the pet store bird is an American Singer and I purchase a Fife from the breeder?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It really doesn’t matter. I bought a Timbrado —actually I got her as an extra in a trade. Wonderful little hen, so full of personality. She is in with a Gouldian male and female. They get along great.

If you post photos of the one at the pet store we can try to help you identify it. Also, one point about getting them from the same breeder - if you do accidentally let them breed and they’re related, the babies could have problems.

We’re all a bunch of bleeding hearts ... you should save the lonely canary. :D

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I have to force myself away from the birds in pet stores... The big chains we all know... The quaker yesterday was trying to step up, but that glass was really clean. The budgies were picking on two, and I just needed a cat carrier for a vet appointment today... I hate going to the stores.

@finchly is that your site? I really enjoyed it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have to force myself away from the birds in pet stores... The big chains we all know... The quaker yesterday was trying to step up, but that glass was really clean. The budgies were picking on two, and I just needed a cat carrier for a vet appointment today... I hate going to the stores.

@finchly is that your site? I really enjoyed it.
I’m laughing because you hate going to the stores... because they’re dangerous!

Yes it’s my site. Thank you! I’m glad you liked it.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I’m laughing because you hate going to the stores... because they’re dangerous!

Yes it’s my site. Thank you! I’m glad you liked it.
I don’t mean to high jack this thread, but for some reason I thought you were referring to my post about retail therapy. :rofl:

STORES ARE DANGEROUS!

TMS9539

Real Name
Terri
I hate to support the big chains, but I think I'm going to rescue that poor little canary. It's not his fault he ended up there. Then I will get a hen from the breeder. I'm so excited - just waiting for the cage to arrive so I can get all set up. If I use the dummy eggs to stop from breeding, how do I do it? Do I replace a single real egg with a single plastic egg, or should I put several plastic ones in as soon as I see the first egg? The breeder said they only breed once a year between March and June, and that it's not an absolute given that they will breed at all. Is that true?

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Here is a good website with canary info. Frequently Asked Questions About Canary Care

Regarding keeping a male and female together, they advise against it:
" Males and females should NOT be kept together at any time except during the breeding season and during the molting period (BOTH must be in full molt, however). Males can chase a hen to death trying to mate with her and hens can be pushed into laying eggs when they are not in condition to do so, which can lead to egg binding and death."

TMS9539

Real Name
Terri
Wow this is all so confusing. There is so much conflicting information out there. The breeder I spoke to said males and females were fine most of the time but I might have to separate them during breeding season. I just read somewhere that it was good to keep a male with several females. My canary project might be expanding LOL. Would a 31x20x57 cage be big enough for 4 canaries? I could get one male and 3 females. Do the females generally get along? Also this is the canary at the pet store. Can anyone tell me what type of canary he is?

Attachments

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Bump.

I'm also confused. I suspect it's going to be up to the birds, though. They will tell you if they are going to be able to cohabitate.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think your instincts to start with a small group is right. You can separate them if it doesn’t work.

I cared for a lone male canary once and he was so miserable alone. It makes them sing more but damn is that a sad song.

TMS9539

Real Name
Terri
I decided to get the little guy from the pet store first. I don't have a big enough cage for more than 2 right now, but I just ordered this cage: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...-company-flight-bird-cage-in-platinum-2290970. Once I get the bigger cage I will get somewhere between 1 and 3 hens and see how it goes. Hopefully the bigger cage will make it easier. If I have to keep him separate I will, but I'm hoping not.

I've literally read practically this entire forum and it seems to me that it really depends on the individual birds. I would prefer not to have multiple cages but if I have to, I will. The male will be alone for a week or so until I can get things set up, but he's alone in the pet store and he'll be better off with me than there.

Did I mention I've bought enough perches and accessories to furnish at least 3 cages? :D

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Terri, I saw where someone tagged me to figure out if it’s male or female. Came here trying to find if you’d posted a photo... But since I’m here I’ll answer all your questions.

I keep canaries together. I would separate if there was an issue but I have never had an issue. I don’t keep males together, even the babies after they’re about 8 weeks they try to beat up their dad. A flight cage with 3-4 canaries is actually overkill lol it will be great for them.

At some point get a 30x18x18 and if you do see fighting you can separate them.

As far as male - female, I would not expect a male to sing this early. He’s feeling a little unsettled. If you can, put a Youtube video of canaries singing near him; he may burst into song. They don’t sing constantly, they sort of go in bursts. Today 6 songs, tomorrow 1 or 2. Next few days no singing, and so on.

Sorry, I was out of town during most of the canary-purchase excitement. :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@TMS9539 Congratulation on your new little bird. I can't wait to get more photos!

Remember to quarantine your bird when you bring the second one home. You can't know what was passed around at the pet shop or at the breeders so keep them in separate rooms for several weeks. 4-8 weeks.

---NOW ---Flood this with adorable canary photos as soon as you can :)