• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
OK. So your bird is an insecure too who never learned to be independent. It is impossible to put her in your bedroom for nights, but you could set up a sleep cage as far from the bathroom as you can get her so she will not hear you when you get up or use a chamberpot in your bedroom so she does not hear you. Perhaps you should remove her from your immediate area for an hour each day to get her more independent. Load her cage with treats for the time away and answer her contact calls while she is in the other room. Show her just because you are out of her sight you are not out of her life. It is going to be a long retraining, but it can be done.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
A too and macaw shouldn't be near each other anyway. Particularly without a real good hepa air filter. I think the bottom line is you have a bird that is known to be loud, in an environment where she cannot be loud. Seems like a silly sentence but seriously, it's practically impossible to expect a too to be quiet, and for everyone to walk on egg shells so things don't set her off. I think if she is in a location where she is being disturbed at night, she isn't getting a full 12 hours rest as she should. I hope you can come up with a workable solution so everyone is happy.:)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
OK here is what this poor woman is trying to say

she is living in a place where every thing is echoed and other people live there to

i have read this from top to bottom and what your saying cant be done I'm living in a seniors apt and there is no way i can let mango voice out i have some of the problems

Hun i can tell you what i do but it isn't going to stop your bird from calling you

if I'm leaving the room i take mango with me yes at night even to the bathroom

when you get the sleep cage cover it your bird isn't getting enough sleep OK
heck mango has 4 covers over him at night they need dark and the cage door closed

do you feed her warm food at bed time set a bed time hr and feed warm food

mango eats more at bed time than he does in morning

if I'm leaving the room i tell mango I'm going and ask him DO YOU WANT TO COME if he does i take him if not i leave him

i know there is no way in hell you can let you bird call you none stop till she quits you would get your notice to leave so you just have to live with taking here with you till shes sure your not leaving her in this strange place have a stand by your computer for her and every so often get up and leave her but talk to her all the time your away from her that helps

i know every thing I'm saying here is the upset to what every one else has said but there not in your position ,

when your able to leave her for a 5 min time no calling you reward her and please when you give her nuts in a shell crack it for her so she knows whats in side,,lol

oh try putting cartoons on the tv for her that might help it didnt mango i cant have tv or radio on

i do hope somethig works for you as i realy understand what life your living all because some one might not understand a bird does make noise

hugssssssssss doll mang

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
I'm sorry - all I see are wonderful suggestions from people and all I see from OP are excuses as to why those won't work.

I'm not quite sure what you want/need from us that hasn't already been provided........:shrug2:

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
I'm sorry - all I see are wonderful suggestions from people and all I see from OP are excuses as to why those won't work.

I'm not quite sure what you want/need from us that hasn't already been provided........:shrug2:
I'm not quite sure I stated I needed anything from you? You are the same person who before twisted my words around making it seem like I allow my dog to go nuts barking but she isn't allowed to make a word and now this. Yes I have recieved a lot of advice and am grateful and appreciative and I thought I made that clear, but am I not allowed to reply with the ones that can't work here? I didn't know that was a rule. Honestly, what gives with your messages?
Maybe I am in a ••••y mood today and your message just set me off but I need to say a few things here.I f you aren't going to read my first post all the way or my responses why bother posting? I'm kinda getting tired of repeating myself.
I have stated now twice that I will take the advice from the first few posts and go with it and see what happens. Am I not allowed to reply to new responses??? Where do I act as if I need more from anyone? If anything I am trying to make some of you understand this isn't normal too behavior. I may be new HERE and seeking advice but I am not new to birds or to Toos. Of course more and NEW suggestions are welcome and always appreciated! Let me state this one more time though since it seems to be overlooked often. I know toos and parrots in general can be loud. ( I have a macaw and a tiel) I have had 2 other Toos in the past as well as another Macaw, a rescued Conjure, and an Eclectus whre I used to live before I got my birds ( please read my other responses if you want to know why or where they are ) and they were your typical attention seeking Parrots and Toos. This Specific one I have now is not TYPICAL so please stop making it out to be. You do not know her and I am trying to let you know why she isn't. She is allowed here and allowed to make noise. I never said she wasn't!! However I am trying to get it to a point where she doesn't FLIP or freak out simply because I left her site. or at 3 am because I went to the bathroom and back to bed. because of my neighbors. The bird is afraid of the dark, she is afraid of new objects that are large like a playstand or a cage that isn't hers where as my others could care less they see it as fun.
I am not being unrealistic here. I am trying to re train her so that she knows this is not ok.and that she will be fine for an hour on her own or because I went back to bed. Has nothing to do with her being a "too" or a loud species. If she was a macaw or another bird doing this specific behavior I'd still have the same problem!
I will do this again so that people don't think I am WANTING anything from them. Geesh ! Sorry but your comment was rude whether you meant it that way or not!

1. Getting a night cage so she can establish the difference between play and sleeping time.
2. Building a play stand away from her cage
3. Getting her to stay on the stand and not be afraid of it. ( This will be hard as she has had things like this but would never stay on them)
4.Talking to my vet about her possibly having anxiety or panic issues
5. Moving her away and out of my site for an hour at first and let her freak out and do her thing.with her lose toys etc.
I am going to try and build her independence.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
honey, just calm down now....glad you are going to try some new things..patience is the key here..just settle down ok?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Your list of things to do to help her is great and I hope they work. I would, however, add in #5 calling back to her contact calls during her hour away to let her know you are around and she has not been 'abandoned' during her training. As she becomes more comfortable with being away from you, her calls will become less frequent and you will know you are making progress when that happens. When the day comes she can be alone without you in sight for an entire hour, you should celebrate! :dancing:

Good luck with your cockatoo. ;)

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
Your list of things to do to help her is great and I hope they work. I would, however, add in #5 calling back to her contact calls during her hour away to let her know you are around and she has not been 'abandoned' during her training. As she becomes more comfortable with being away from you, her calls will become less frequent and you will know you are making progress when that happens. When the day comes she can be alone without you in sight for an entire hour, you should celebrate! :dancing:

Good luck with your cockatoo. ;)
Do appreciate your advice there and did read it before when posted but I am not sure that will work. I would have to respond every 4 seconds. I've done this before trying to reassure her but it has never worked and just showing her that I will keep responding to her calls so she keeps doing it over and over

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
No you do not have to respond every four seconds. Once every five or ten minutes is quite enough. She may be obsessive about calling for you, but you just have to reassure her intermittently you are still around and close. You do not have to answer every call.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Actually a sleep cage in your room wouldn't be too bad of an idea (it would help build her security and feelings of being comfortable which could help lead to independence). Would your macaw mind her in there in the dark? Just curious. They don't even have to see eachother. Bring her into the room into the night cage in the dark. The only problem would be if your macaw or too stresses out, because she would definitely hear if you guys get up and move around.

Bokka my neediest too, this is what I had to do for him for 4 years. Infact after 1 year of having him sleep in my room and doing everything i suggested he became so confident and started to really blossom. I kept in my room because I liked it. But I have my own place now and he is caged in a room with my other toos and he does so well. But during that first year he honestly had so many insecurities and lack of confidence having him in the same room as I at night helped. Ofcourse he was my only large bird back then. But ofcourse I was single and didnt have a significant other who would share the room too. So I understand if this can't work for everyone.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
1. Getting a night cage so she can establish the difference between play and sleeping time.
2. Building a play stand away from her cage
3. Getting her to stay on the stand and not be afraid of it. ( This will be hard as she has had things like this but would never stay on them)
4.Talking to my vet about her possibly having anxiety or panic issues
5. Moving her away and out of my site for an hour at first and let her freak out and do her thing.with her lose toys etc.
I am going to try and build her independence.
Those sound like good objectives, however instead of an hour(#5) make it short time at first and slowly, very slowly and at her pace, increase that time.

For me, sometimes I respond to contact calls, but when they are persistent I ignore them. Also, I just wanted to throw in a suggestion, something I do twice daily for my toos and believe its a miracle worker. Make NOISE twice a day. In the morning and especially at night. Male it a certain time and turn music on, dance, show your freak to your bird, sing and well...make noise. My birds will respond, sing, call out a little bit when I do this in the AM, once I shut up, its quiet and I don't respond to any loud calls, then by evening repeat. Typically in the evening, around 6:30-7 for 30-60 mins, and my birds join in. They love it. Doing this in establishing proper times to "let loose" and go crazy, and I allow it, shoot I ENCOURAGE it!!! Cockatoos are LOUD birds by nature, its impossible to keep them quiet all the time, but if you really encourage this, this loudness, this perfectly normal behavior, but at a time that works with your schedule and everyone else's, once-twice a day, it'll really helps. It's great for them and you!

I know, I'm a crazy too gal but hey, if you can't beat them, join'em!!

Last edited:

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
I will do this again so that people don't think I am WANTING anything from them. Geesh ! Sorry but your comment was rude whether you meant it that way or not!

My post was neither rude or attacking in any way. You are the one who snapped back at people prior to me posting. I wish you luck with your Too. Understand that you have moved her not once but twice in a relatively short period of time and she is insecure and needs reassurance.

But you already know that since you're experienced with, Toos, right? :rolleyes:

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard

My post was neither rude or attacking in any way. You are the one who snapped back at people prior to me posting. I wish you luck with your Too. Understand that you have moved her not once but twice in a relatively short period of time and she is insecure and needs reassurance.

But you already know that since you're experienced with, Toos, right? :rolleyes:
Your post WAS rude! Who are you to question me like that and make it seem I am not allowed to respond? Seriously?? I do not see a Mod, or admin sign next to your name , in fact looks like you are new here too. Perhaps you should back off.
I didn't snap at anyone and if they feel I did and took offense THEY should say something NOT YOU. Please be gone with your attitude and eye rolls. You are NOT helping at all. Thanks

Mercedes,
Honestly I would try it in a heartbeat but with my Macaw recently having that seizure I don't want to take any chances. I'll keep your dance parties in mind :cool:

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
okay folks, please stay on topic and offer assistance if you have any pertinent advice

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mercedes,
Honestly I would try it in a heartbeat but with my Macaw recently having that seizure I don't want to take any chances. I'll keep your dance parties in mind :cool:
Birds in the wild naturally are loud twice a day, morning and dusk. They do lots of vocalizations. Which is why I typically encourage this natural behavior twice a day. It seems to work for my birds quite well. I have loud species of birds but they are only consider loud mainly at night. It's something I reinforce, and since I've made it a routine, my fids know when they cam let loose and do their flock calls :) You don't have to do it, I'm just sharing what I do, and I do suggest it to those who want to try it :D

RucaMonster

Strolling the yard
I do know this.... and my Macaw does her morning and night calls and Chicky joins her. They have no problem letting it out. I have no problem letting them. I do appreciate the dance advice although she dances daily with me already but not sure if her morning calls that she already does are going to change her ways. I'm going to keep with what I stated before and not change too much at once to soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.