• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Need advice

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Good Morning everyone i need some advice... So we have a little pullet Chick ( RIR) and this poor girl had crooked toes. Its every little toe on both her little feet. I dont have a picture of ours but will upload one that looks similar. Anyways we have learned that these chicks usally die because they can't move around well. This one how ever is a little fighter. She runs and eats and drinks just as well as the rest. We also learned that of they make into adult hood they will often do just fine with the crooked toes. So we where thinking about trying to help her the best we can , we saw one idea about using a band aid and staiting out the toes the best we can and usally after 36 hours and they will correct them selfs. Anyone else ever deal with it or have and advice? Screenshot_2019-08-14-08-46-00~2.png

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor baby

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does your avian vet tend to chickens? Or is there a farm vet in your area?

Not quite the same, and not sure if it is helpful but when my little lovebird was younger I needed her foot taped up, and my vet sat me on a chair, knees to knees with him and we did it together, 4 hands were needed.

I hope you are able to help your chick somehow ❤

@SandraK @MiniMacaw

@fashionfobie knows a lot about chickens but I don´t think she can message on this forum.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Does your avian vet tend to chickens? Or is there a farm vet in your area?

Not quite the same, and not sure if it is helpful but when my little lovebird was younger I needed her foot taped up, and my vet sat me on a chair, knees to knees with him and we did it together, 4 hands were needed.

I hope you are able to help your chick somehow ❤

@SandraK @MiniMacaw

@fashionfobie knows a lot about chickens but I don´t think she can message on this forum.

He said to either tape her feet or take her back to the place we got her from, i think we are going to tape her feet and seperate her from the other chicks while her feet are tapped

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I have personally dealt with this in a chick that my husband brought home one day. The vet said that a taped sort of splint would help, but she always managed to get it off.

We learned that just making sure she never walked on totally smooth, flat surfaces helped tremendously. That’s when the toes can’t grip well enough and the twists worsen. However if she had a blanket or towel to walk on in her brooder when young she would start to slowly strengthen her feet. She did have to stay separated from other chicks until she was ready to be outside because they would pick at her feet.

Now she’s four years old, lays eggs well and plays like any other hen in our barnyard. She still has a slight curve in some toes but it doesn’t affect her anymore.

Please keep us updated on this little ones progress. :heart:

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I have personally dealt with this in a chick that my husband brought home one day. The vet said that a taped sort of splint would help, but she always managed to get it off.

We learned that just making sure she never walked on totally smooth, flat surfaces helped tremendously. That’s when the toes can’t grip well enough and the twists worsen. However if she had a blanket or towel to walk on in her brooder when young she would start to slowly strengthen her feet. She did have to stay separated from other chicks until she was ready to be outside because they would pick at her feet.

Now she’s four years old, lays eggs well and plays like any other hen in our barnyard. She still has a slight curve in some toes but it doesn’t affect her anymore.

Please keep us updated on this little ones progress. :heart:

Glad your girl is doing so good. We are going to try the band aid trick. If it doesn't work we will see how she does, shes a little fighter.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Glad your girl is doing so good. We are going to try the band aid trick. If it doesn't work we will see how she does, shes a little fighter.
I’m so glad you’re keeping her and she found such a good home. I know my vet said that the bandaid splint trick works wonders most of the time, my girl was just extra stubborn lol and wouldn’t leave it alone. But I do know quite a few people who had great success using it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think 36 hrs is enough.
To make sure her blood is circulate well I would have tape her every day, and when remove the tape massage her feet.

Good luck! ♥

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What I have seen was like a snowshoe, and the toes were gradually moved into correct position.

That’s a darling photo of the 2 of them! And you are so sweet to keep her and work with her.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
A lottle little update. She does not seemed bothered by her new "braces" she chases the little roo around and keeps up pretty good with him. The roo named Jacob by my 9 yr old god son is a little ham . i can only tell him a part from the pullets because they gave all the roos a blue dot on there little heads.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
The little booger got one off last night. So we took the cardboard off and just went with the bandaid. She also kept getting it stuck in for food bowl because they like to sit in the bowl to eat. I told her she looks like a little duck. She running around though happy as can be with her little room mate. At times they don't seem to happy to be away from the other 10 but they soon get over it when they find food.

Last edited: