• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice

mira3321

Moving in
Real Name
Mira Blomerus
Hey, so i have this quaker who has started plucking. I changed her pellets to a different kind (we are now changing them back though as she doesnt really like them) and then some weeks later i gave my budgies to a family i know very well and was looking to buy budgies. Very soon after that my quaker Kiwi started acting strange and has now started plucking.. She was never really fond of the budgies and always tried to bite them through their cage is they got too close to her (though se really liked napping on top of the budgie cage).
My question is, could the strange behavior be because of the new food or the not being there? Like i said earlier, im already changing her pellets back to the original ones but do i also need to get her a buddy pal friend?
I know this is propably very messy and doesnt make much sense but im worried sick about her and can barely stop crying. I already contacted the vet, but im hoping to get some quick answers or advice...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In my experience, Quakers are very social birds (like most parrots), and do best with another bird in the house, even if they are not pals.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I agree with Shawna. He needs an ambient flock. A bird who is around but may not necessarily interact with him. Of course if you got another Quaker that would be best, even if they are not friends. Before you do that take him by the vet for a health check in case there is a medical reason for his plucking.