• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice regarding my moulting budgie!!

rosemary

Strolling the yard
My budgie Rosemary has some scale on his beak, which he has every once in a while and he just gets a beautiful new outer skin layer in a (couple) weeks. He is currently moulting and full of pin feathers, I spritz water over their cage to relieve the possible itching he might be experiencing. I was at the vet on last Monday and mentioned the scale, she took a close look and said she cannot see any 'drill holes' that mites cause, so she was not concerned and jus adviced me, to keep an eye out. I took pictures, so I can track what is happening.

Do you guys have any tipps?

My vet suggests to give foods higher in Biotin, since it helps nourish skin cells. I gave them egg food yesterday. And seeds supposedly have some as well, is their anything alse I can do? Some people online suggest rubbing in some (edible) oils, to soften the skin layer and in case of mites it kills them off supposedly? Has anyone any experience?

I heard some people rub their birds feet or beak with balm to soften up hardened skin and its supposed to be safe, as long as you keep it out of their nostrils/eyes.

Thank you :heart:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi rosemary,

I don't have any experience with the scaly beak, and mine have never had mites, so I don't know about oil for a birds beak. My two boys have lots of pin feathers on their heads, and they aren't the best about grooming one another, either. I'm having to mist them, too, and looking for other ways to help them.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Can we see those photos? Some flaking on the beak is normal, as that's how they grow. Is there any reason in particular you're worried about mites?

Unless your vet specifically tells you to, I would strongly advise against rubbing oil on their beaks (or feet) as that can disrupt their ability to thermoregulate properly.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not put anything other than water on my birds as it can cause more problems than those you’re trying to fix which are not always a problem in the first place. Be very careful using any oils on your bird anywhere. Their beaks do have to renew themselves and the old beak flakes off in little bits.
Pictures may help.

rosemary

Strolling the yard
Hi rosemary,

I don't have any experience with the scaly beak, and mine have never had mites, so I don't know about oil for a birds beak. My two boys have lots of pin feathers on their heads, and they aren't the best about grooming one another, either. I'm having to mist them, too, and looking for other ways to help them.
I try to mist them a couple times in a day as well, to soften the pin feathers!

rosemary

Strolling the yard
I do not put anything other than water on my birds as it can cause more problems than those you’re trying to fix which are not always a problem in the first place. Be very careful using any oils on your bird anywhere. Their beaks do have to renew themselves and the old beak flakes off in little bits.
Pictures may help.
I did a bit more research after I made the post and decided against putting anything on them, since it is not good if you get any in their eyes or on their face. He has some flakes here and there, since there are a bit more, I panicked a bit :D

rosemary

Strolling the yard
Can we see those photos? Some flaking on the beak is normal, as that's how they grow. Is there any reason in particular you're worried about mites?

Unless your vet specifically tells you to, I would strongly advise against rubbing oil on their beaks (or feet) as that can disrupt their ability to thermoregulate properly.
I will upload them in a bit. There is not a specific reason, his beak just seems a bit more flakey then what I am used to. I have decided against putting anything on them as well! Thank you!