• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice please.

Birdman416

Meeting neighbors
New member here. Joined yesterday. Thank you for letting me join your group. I am a retired man and I am thinking of getting a new bird in my life now that I have time to devote to one. I have had birds from a child up. I would love to have a Crimson bellied conure but I am open to any suggestions. Thank you all.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What made you consider a crimson bellied over a green cheek?

Birdman416

Meeting neighbors
Crimson bellied conures are so beautiful. I heard green cheeks can be noisy. Open to any suggestions for a new bird here. All suggestions are appreciated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's really down to the individual bird. They are closely related species and I'm not sure how different they are in reality. I know @April had a Crimson bellied that was extremely noisy

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's really down to the individual bird. They are closely related species and I'm not sure how different they are in reality. I know @April had a Crimson bellied that was extremely noisy
I don't have time to reply now because I'm work but I'll post something more detailed when I can :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have four crimson bellied conures.. two female and two males. They are extremely noisy with great volumn to their calls. I used to raise them years ago. Three of them are now 13 years old and the one male is 15. I also have a female greencheek that was one of my babies ( she’s 14 now) and last but not least is my male Black capped conure .. he’s 16 now. The quietest of the group is the Black capped. His vocals are a chirp
or a non obtrusive “ squeeeee”. A. Black cap would be my recommendation for a companion bird. He has a great personality, limited vocabulary and very sociable. I think @Matto raises them.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Crimsons can be quite noisy, but I find that a single crimson is not so bad. I was almost never annoyed when he was my only bird. Now, I have several and they can get loud, mostly when they need something or want me to put them to bed. Not as bad as a Sun or Nanday, certainly. I've never had a green cheek or black cap to compare it to.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crimson bellied conures are so beautiful. I heard green cheeks can be noisy. Open to any suggestions for a new bird here. All suggestions are appreciated.
Ok I can finally reply!
So let me start by saying I've had parrots for over 15 years now including Green Cheeks,A Sun Conure,Budgies,Cockatiels and briefly a Senegal. Green cheeks are my heart species my first bird was a Greenie named Nala and she was everything to me my absolute heart bird and my animal soulmate. She was the perfect bird she was quiet as a mouse rarely ever made a peep and even her alarm call wasn't that vad and was brief. She was also sweet as pie even during hormones and she loved nothing more then to sleep on top of my head while I read or watched TV.
She was seriously perfect and I was the luckiest person in the world to have her in my life.

After she passed away I got another Greenie several months later. I found her at a pet store and she was 3 months old and clipped when I got her. She was shy but sweet and within about a week she would hang out with me but being a baby wasn't content to just sit she was constantly into everything chewing my sheets,my clothes trying to jump on the floor and run behind my TV to chew on the wires and fairly loud from the get go it wasn't terrible but she was far more vocal the complete opposite of Nala in almost every way. We never had quite the same bond I loved her dearly but she wasn't a snuggly bird which was better for her but harder for me because no matter how many toys or out of cage time I gave her she never settled down and was constantly on the go and the older she got the louder she not still not unreasonable but definitely not what I was used to.
She unfortunately died after getting her blood drawn for her annual wellness testing and I lost her just 3 months after her 3rd hatchday.

After she died(though it was planned for about a month before she died because I wanted a friend for her)
i was waiting for my Crimson to be weaned,now this had been a 12 years long dream of mine to have a Crimson I'd fallen in love with them at first glance and had never stopped thinking of wanting to share my life with one. And finally that dream was about to come true.

From the moment we drove to get Tobias he was perfect curious and engaging from the second I took him from the breeder. As soon as I opened his carrier he flew onto my shoulder and was snuggling and giving me kisses and preening my eyelashes. I couldn't have been happier I'd been missing that type of closeness since Nala had passed away. But from hour one he was loud and constant about it now of course he was in a new place and unsure about what was happening and of course I know birds especially Conures can and will be loud so it didn't bother me and I figured once he settled in that he would tone it down and be more appropriate with his vocalizations...well unfortunately that never happened. He continued to get louder and more frequent about it especially when he had to be in his cage. I made sure even on day one to not have him out for too long even though it was so tempting to just snuggle him endlessly and that's all he wanted as well.
But I stuck to my guns and was extremely consistent in making sure he was in his cage and encouraging him to explore and play with his toys.
As time went on however much he played with his toys and he was an absolute killer it was never enough because all he wanted was to be out with me. I could have him out for 3 hours straight and give him my constant attention with plenty of toys and flapping and he still would start screaming the minute I'd walk away from the cage I couldn't even walk out of room before he went crazy. He would just get louder and louder and for longer periods of time as the months went on. I did everything I could I asked on here for advice,contacted the breeder and several vets and nothing at all would make him stop or even improve in the slightest from this screaming problem.
I loved him with all my heart but a person can only take so much,he was absolutely ruining my life and I don't say that lightly but he would scream for 4 hours straight without stopping in the slightest and it was to the point that my family and I were prisoners in our own home. We couldn't play the TV above a certain level in the living room and my mother and I couldn't even have a conversation without him being triggered. It got to the point that we had to eat our meals in my mom's room the farthest room away from him just to get some relief and be able to talk. I didn't even want to come home anymore because I knew I'd instantly be miserable and upset because of the nonstop screaming. Even my poor dog was effected he'd spend so much time hiding under his bed to get away from the noise and he'd just look constantly worried and on edge.

The final straw however came when I couldn't even escape from his screaming at night. He was fairly decent about settling down after about 10 mins of screaming which was still terrible but at least after that he'd sleep through the nighttime.
But then one night he screamed from the moment I put him in his sleep cage at 7pm until after 10 pm and I had my first ever panic attack and after that I knew that however much it broke my heart that we simply weren't compatible anymore.
He clearly needed more than I could provide for him and as hard for me as that was to accept I knew that I had to find him another home.
I reached out to our own @webchirp because I knew that she could give him the bird room that he needed to fly and the possibility within her flock to find the friend that he was clearly desiring.
I'm beyond blessed and thankful that she was willing to open her home to him and provide him with what I couldn't.
He still screams with her even though he has everything he could wish for including a friend but that's clearly just how he is an extremely loud example of a Crimson Bellied even though I've done so many years of research and they are claimed to be one of the quietest and least offensive Conures since they have a deeper and less shrill voice. However that is absolutely not the case with Tobias. Now maybe his level of screaming wouldn't bother certain people but the worst part was the fact that he would go nonstop for hours without stopping. We aren't taking 15 mins of screaming 3 times a day and then mostly chill for the rest of the time this was loud skull penetrating screams that reverberated in my head.

But for temperament wise he was the sweetest and most loving bird I'd had since Nala. He was the absolute perfect bird and exactly what I'd been hoping for except for his noise level.

I hope this was able to help you with your choice :)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Tobias is cute as can be but he is loud. However he is competing against a sun conure. I will say that chya and happy scream their sun conure noises constantly while cleaning at night. So he is the loudest of the py flock but not on a level with those two. His crazy teen antics might be the end of me…testing his luck. Once he calms from teenage to a more laid back adult, he’ll find a friend. Julip tolerates him at times but she is a fickle girl. And he also has a temper…I almost think he is part hawkhead with the way the back of his feathers go up. But then all he wants is a warm hand for a good nap… 089BF020-94AE-4EB7-80B9-22B36829FFD7.jpeg

Birdman416

Meeting neighbors
Tobias is cute as can be but he is loud. However he is competing against a sun conure. I will say that chya and happy scream their sun conure noises constantly while cleaning at night. So he is the loudest of the py flock but not on a level with those two. His crazy teen antics might be the end of me…testing his luck. Once he calms from teenage to a more laid back adult, he’ll find a friend. Julip tolerates him at times but she is a fickle girl. And he also has a temper…I almost think he is part hawkhead with the way the back of his feathers go up. But then all he wants is a warm hand for a good nap… View attachment 414224
Is he a Crimson?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're open to suggestions, I suggest the humble budgie. Budgies are great. They chatter, but don't hurt your ears; can be tamed; come in a myriad of colours; generally can have a budgie friend without you winding up with 10 budgies matchmaking. Most people can give them adequate space & they don't destroy toys in an hour. I love them!

If you look at rehoming ads, there are a lot of budgies, but this is likely a function of how easy they are to obtain & their low price point. Most ads say a parent wanted them gone or a kid got bored or someone wasn't cleaning. They don't tend to say screamer/plucker/attacker.

Budgies are popular with reason. :)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Welcome!!

I think the *only* thing I know about conures is that they’re generally usually pretty loud - I couldn’t have one, because something about the pitch of their vocalization makes my ears ring.

If you’re looking for a suggestion, cockatiels are pretty freaking awesome. Tteok is a snuggler, talks and sings, and when he’s loud it’s not glass-shattering.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you're open to suggestions, I suggest the humble budgie. Budgies are great. They chatter, but don't hurt your ears; can be tamed; come in a myriad of colours; generally can have a budgie friend without you winding up with 10 budgies matchmaking. Most people can give them adequate space & they don't destroy toys in an hour. I love them!

If you look at rehoming ads, there are a lot of budgies, but this is likely a function of how easy they are to obtain & their low price point. Most ads say a parent wanted them gone or a kid got bored or someone wasn't cleaning. They don't tend to say screamer/plucker/attacker.

Budgies are popular with reason. :)
i would say the same thing about budgies. Small but mighty in personality and intelligent funny little beings. Like the poster of this thread I was so attracted to the beautiful color of the crimsons. It took me six months to commit to buying my original pair for 1200.00 in 2006. I wouldn’t recommend a female or male crimson as far as gender goes for personality as I have a male and female who are both equal in their fondness for me… the other two are indifferent and would prefer each other over me. That said… budgies are colorful, busy, trainable, entertaining even if they don’t desire hands on touch, can have lengthy life spans… overall a win win for companions. I would also say there are many birds in rescues that could benefit from a good caring home. Be open to all avenues and species when looking for a feathered companion.