• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice on semi-new bird that is very fearful

MJ88

Moving in
On December 9th my dad bought home a 3 month old parrotlet from a pet store, we named him Rango. He was placed in the centre of the living room in a good sized cage so he could become accustomed to my family (5 adults), but it was my dad that was looking after him by replacing the food and water trays, sitting around him all day, putting the blanket over his cage for bedtime, and spraying him with water each morning. He was most comfortable with my dad but even then that wasn't much because he'd still get spooked by my dad walking past or coming close to him. He'll start flying around and freaking out if anyone goes near or touches his cage (except if my dad is changing the trays, he's able to contain his fear for the most part).
After about three weeks we placed a toy in his cage (he freaked out and was screaming when we were placing it), and for about 10 days he was extremely scared of it, if he accidentally brushed against it he would fly to the complete other side of the cage - eventually he got used to it. Each day for about one month my dad has sat by Rango and put millet spray against the bars of the cage, he has come slightly close to making contact but no luck.

Now for the past two weeks Rango has strangely began having an episode every other night where he'll start screaming and flying around his cage for no supposed reason, he'll keep looking up at the ceiling too, he won't stop unless we put the blanket over his cage (it usually happens around his bedtime anyway). After a bit of research we felt Rango would feel safer in my bedroom since he wouldn't be in the centre of the room with everyone around him nor could he see out the window properly (he wasn't exactly close to the window before but would see a bird from far and get scared), also he won't be disturbed by the TV when he sleeps (TV would be on a few hours after placing blanket over his cage). Now for almost a week Rango has been in my bedroom, I'm always in here apart from when I eat and what not. Twice a day I'll sit by him for half hour and hold a millet spray up to the bars of his cage, I'll sing and talk to him but he'll remain fairly anxious. He's still having his episodes, he's placed just below the window and keeps attempting to look outside, and at night he'll catch a reflection of the coat hanger for a moment and then this triggers him (which I can understand) but he will not stop freaking out.

We feel horrible because it's been almost 2 months and we haven't let him out of his cage, he sits there all day bored! He isn't tamed nor does he trust us so we're afraid we wouldn't be able to get him back into the cage if we let him out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because we're becoming a bit hopeless.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Agree middle of room does not feel safe as things can come at him from all sides & he has no where to find to keep his back safe. Covering a side or two could have helped in the LR.

Probably better in the small bedroom where he can feel safe.

Work on getting him at least more secure in his cage. If he is that frightened when he gets out of the cage he could fly into walls or windows. You have to bird safe his environment starting with the location of his cage so he can adjust & not have so much stress.

He needs to feel safe in his cage & then the home so the cage location is very important to minimize the scaries & help him feel he has a safe place in his cage.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2: