• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice on next steps for taming

FlameKeet

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I have had my budgie for about a week and half. I got him from petco. He has never really been afraid of my hands. First day I got him I put my hand on the cage to gage how scared he was and he just continued preening. So the next day I put millet in my hand and he jumped in my hand and started eating. I was also able to take him out of the cage and sit him on my bed(as long as there was millet on my bed lol). The past few days whenever I approached his cage he would stretch his wings and start playing with his toys and sitting on the perch closest to the cage door. So I've been sitting his cage by my bed and opening the door since his wings were clipped when i got him so he can't fly over to me. I sit millet on my bed and he jumps out and eats it. Sometime he gets freaked out by something random and will try to fly but he just glides to the floor usually and then he sits there frozen until I go over and put him back on my bed then he jumps back in his cage. I was just wondering should I continue doing this or is it time to try something else? He's really smart and learned how to step up and is starting to get good with target training but it seems because he can't fly he's not really confident being out the cage which i think is slowing down our progress. I'm also aware that a week and a half is not a long time so I'm really happy with how much he's opened up already. Any suggestions would be great!

Last edited:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Hi, you got a brave and social little guy! I recommend letting his feathers grow and let him fly,. Taming a budgie just takes time and consistancy
Here are some things you can do to bond with your birdie (first one is necessary to a bird):
Bathing bird
Singing to bird
Just hanging out, like pulling a chair up to cage
Peekaboo
Travel around house
Reading a book
Chatting
(A trick that inhanced their trust in me) through the tunnel (using hand)

Make sure your bird is ready though, and won't be stress, slow and steady wins the race

FlameKeet

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, you got a brave and social little guy! I recommend letting his feathers grow and let him fly,. Taming a budgie just takes time and consistancy
Here are some things you can do to bond with your birdie (first one is necessary to a bird):
Bathing bird
Singing to bird
Just hanging out, like pulling a chair up to cage
Peekaboo
Travel around house
Reading a book
Chatting
(A trick that inhanced their trust in me) through the tunnel (using hand)

Make sure your bird is ready though, and won't be stress, slow and steady wins the race
Ty for the suggestions! I will try this out today. I didn't know budgies like to play peek a boo haha I've seen some bigger birds who enjoy it tho. I assume through the tunnel trick is done by targeting?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Millet's the only efficacious taming aid I've found with budgies.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Sounds like you and your bird are progressing amazingly! Keep up the good work and it will be great when he can get out to fly after his wings have grown out. What's his name? Any pics yet? We love pics!!! :)