• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Advice on International Travel

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
Hello, I currently live in South Africa and will have to go home soon as my two year visa isn’t ending soon. A few months ago we rescued a baby Speckled Mousebird (Waited around for parents and everything else) after a bad storm. I contacted a man from a local avian rescue and he told me everything I needed to know on how to care for him. He also said to keep doing what Ive been doing until we schedule a meet. So, Ive hand-raised him myself and he is big, happy, and healthy now. Bokkie, my mousebird, and I have grown very attached to eachother. He is very domesticated and relies solely on me. At this point I can’t picture my life without him. Even my mother back in the states loves him :roflmao: I’ve been doing research and coming to a lot of roadblocks into whether I can bring him home with me or not? I plan on contacting vets and seeing if i can get him registered as my pet, and calling the airline I plan on taking ect. But from there I’m really lost. He is from Africa, and I read he would have to be quarantined? I need easy to follow advice!! I’m super stressed on top of this dealing with my husbands immigration as his petitioner. Any help is super appreciated and willing to give more info if needed. All in all, can I register a mousebird as my pet and travel from South Africa to America with him? Thank you! A084CB88-5765-49AB-95F3-0FD4CAE92005.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Here's a start for you. Bear in mind that South Africa is an HPAI country so you will be looking at quarantine in South Africa for a minimum of 21 days and 30 days in the US. Estimated costs for US quarantine and required vet services is $700.00. I don't know about the cost for permits and vet services in South Africa.

torihanekom

Moving in
Real Name
Tori Hanekom
Here's a start for you. Bear in mind that South Africa is an HPAI country so you will be looking at quarantine in South Africa for a minimum of 21 days and 30 days in the US. Estimated costs for US quarantine and required vet services is $700.00. I don't know about the cost for permits and vet services in South Africa.

Yes, I have read that. I’m willing to do anything for him at this point. The quarantine thing makes me sad, but if it brings him home with me we will get through it. He’s a very friendly little guy. Thank you for your input!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would probably start with this:
In the U.S., The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service regulates birds protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and the Wild Bird Conservation Act of 1992 (WBCA). There are extensive U.S. entry and exit requirements for birds regulated under these laws, so it is critical that you contact FWS to discuss their processes and fees if your bird is regulated by them. To determine if your pet bird is regulated by FWS, please visit their website at: http://www.fws.gov/permits/ and review the fact sheet at: http://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/travelpetbird.pdf.

You may also contact them directly at 703-358-2104 or 800-358-2104.

I hope everything goes well. Your mousebird is a cutie and I've read they are wonderful pet birds.

sougkt9

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
wit99
Here's a start for you. Bear in mind that South Africa is an HPAI us of a so you will be searching at quarantine in South Africa for at least 21 days and 30 days within the US. Estimated costs for US quarantine and required vet services is $700.00. I don't know approximately the cost for permits and vet offerings in South Africa.

Last edited: