• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice on 21 yr old tiel in small cage

Lenaiya

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lenaiya Jaye
Hello,

i acquired a 21 yr old cockatiel from a friend who has been ill & seemingly unable/uninterested in caring for him any longer. Everytime I’d come to visit I would see this bird in a very small cage that had been placed in a very small pantry off of the kitchen where human interaction was minimal and I always felt sorry for him being cooped up all day and basically ignored so I would go up to it’s cage & say hello to him & try to spend a little time interacting with him but he seemed scared and I felt so bad for him. What a life to have to endure, I couldn’t stand seeing him like this so I asked if I could take him and they didn’t hesitate to give him to me and I felt blessed to have him. I asked all the questions I could think of as far as how to care for him but they were not the original owner. The bird initially belonged to my friend’s sister who passed away about 10 yrs ago. I’m really not sure what his life was like with the previous owner, but I got the impression that once the previous owner passed away, the bird was mean, bit and was never let out of his cage. I dont know if the cage he is in is the same cage he has always been in but it is definitely the same cage he has been in since my friend has had him and this cage is about 20 inches tall, 12 inches wide and 8 inches deep. It is so small that to think he has not been let out of it in 10 yrs makes me shudder.

i put him in my rental car and drove him to another state and he enjoyed the ride. Once home, I found a nice spot for his cage up on top of the hutch in my living room overlooking the entire room & where I spend most of my time. I dont work so I am home with him all day, everyday. Every morning I hang his cage outside on the front porch where he enjoys the fresh morning air & sunshine & listens to the wild birds chirp. After about an hour I bring him inside and set his cage on the coffee table where he is directly in front of me & my 2 dogs so he can be in on the action and be part of the family. My dogs love him and he seems to be somewhat interested in them. I have been whistling the theme from the Andy Griffith Show to him in hopes he would pick up on it and he surprised me by doing his best to whistle it back to me! You can definitely tell it was the Andy Griffith theme song, but it was way off pitch, but i was so thrilled by his efforts! Come late afternoon I hang him outside on the porch again and then bring him back inside when the sun starts to go down.

i couldn’t stand to see him in such a small cage so I bought a much bigger one (2 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft) but it needed to be painted and I painted it with non-toxic safe for pets paint but it suggests waiting a full week for it to cure completely before putting the bird in it and it has been 2 days so i still have 5 to go. Obviously I will need to take him out of his current cage to transfer him into the new cage and I am fully aware and cognizant about putting my dogs in another room with the door shut and putting the bird in a small room with the windows and doors closed and to wear thick sturdy gloves in case he nips me but I have reached my hand into his current cage several times in order to hang new toys and treat rolls and a mirror (which he has sat in front of looking at his reflection ever since i put it in there. He will not go anywhere else in that cage (not there’s much room to) but i put a rainbow colored perch in front of the mirror and that is his new spot.

He doesnt seem bothered by me reaching into his cage but when i put my finger up near his face OUTside his cage in an attempt to get him to follow my finger like a sideroad sobriety test, he hissed at me repeatedly so I stopped.

i was told to put his cage in an enclosed room and to just open the door to his cage and let him come out on his own and once he does, then remove that cage and open the door to the new cage and just leave him alone until he goes in it on his own and if he doesn’t, then get a towel and casually drop it on top of him and then pick up the towel and the bird simultaneously and place him in the new cage. Is this the correct method for transferring him to a new cage or do you recommend doing it some other way?

And if it’s true that he hasnt been out of his current cage in 10 yrs, will he even come out on his own when i leave the door open? What if he doesnt? Then what? I don’t want to scare or traumatize him because of his age, I dont want him to have a heart attack or stress him out and him end up dying so if thats even a possibility am i better off leaving him in his current small cage? That just seems so cruel to me. I want whatever time he has left to be enjoyable and know he is loved and cared for and dont want to do anything that might disrupt or jeopardize his health and safety. I dont know how to proceed, but I dont think its ok to leave him cooped up in such a small cage and never let him out but I also don’t want to get bit or have him scared of me and not trust me. He has been with me for about a week and he seems to have adapted quite well but I dont want to rush him. Should I wait a little longer before I attempt this? He seems pretty happy and content but I just don’t see how he can be content in that cage 24/7

Your advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your responses!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello,

i acquired a 21 yr old cockatiel from a friend who has been ill & seemingly unable/uninterested in caring for him any longer. Everytime I’d come to visit I would see this bird in a very small cage that had been placed in a very small pantry off of the kitchen where human interaction was minimal and I always felt sorry for him being cooped up all day and basically ignored so I would go up to it’s cage & say hello to him & try to spend a little time interacting with him but he seemed scared and I felt so bad for him. What a life to have to endure, I couldn’t stand seeing him like this so I asked if I could take him and they didn’t hesitate to give him to me and I felt blessed to have him. I asked all the questions I could think of as far as how to care for him but they were not the original owner. The bird initially belonged to my friend’s sister who passed away about 10 yrs ago. I’m really not sure what his life was like with the previous owner, but I got the impression that once the previous owner passed away, the bird was mean, bit and was never let out of his cage. I dont know if the cage he is in is the same cage he has always been in but it is definitely the same cage he has been in since my friend has had him and this cage is about 20 inches tall, 12 inches wide and 8 inches deep. It is so small that to think he has not been let out of it in 10 yrs makes me shudder.

i put him in my rental car and drove him to another state and he enjoyed the ride. Once home, I found a nice spot for his cage up on top of the hutch in my living room overlooking the entire room & where I spend most of my time. I dont work so I am home with him all day, everyday. Every morning I hang his cage outside on the front porch where he enjoys the fresh morning air & sunshine & listens to the wild birds chirp. After about an hour I bring him inside and set his cage on the coffee table where he is directly in front of me & my 2 dogs so he can be in on the action and be part of the family. My dogs love him and he seems to be somewhat interested in them. I have been whistling the theme from the Andy Griffith Show to him in hopes he would pick up on it and he surprised me by doing his best to whistle it back to me! You can definitely tell it was the Andy Griffith theme song, but it was way off pitch, but i was so thrilled by his efforts! Come late afternoon I hang him outside on the porch again and then bring him back inside when the sun starts to go down.

i couldn’t stand to see him in such a small cage so I bought a much bigger one (2 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft) but it needed to be painted and I painted it with non-toxic safe for pets paint but it suggests waiting a full week for it to cure completely before putting the bird in it and it has been 2 days so i still have 5 to go. Obviously I will need to take him out of his current cage to transfer him into the new cage and I am fully aware and cognizant about putting my dogs in another room with the door shut and putting the bird in a small room with the windows and doors closed and to wear thick sturdy gloves in case he nips me but I have reached my hand into his current cage several times in order to hang new toys and treat rolls and a mirror (which he has sat in front of looking at his reflection ever since i put it in there. He will not go anywhere else in that cage (not there’s much room to) but i put a rainbow colored perch in front of the mirror and that is his new spot.

He doesnt seem bothered by me reaching into his cage but when i put my finger up near his face OUTside his cage in an attempt to get him to follow my finger like a sideroad sobriety test, he hissed at me repeatedly so I stopped.

i was told to put his cage in an enclosed room and to just open the door to his cage and let him come out on his own and once he does, then remove that cage and open the door to the new cage and just leave him alone until he goes in it on his own and if he doesn’t, then get a towel and casually drop it on top of him and then pick up the towel and the bird simultaneously and place him in the new cage. Is this the correct method for transferring him to a new cage or do you recommend doing it some other way?

And if it’s true that he hasnt been out of his current cage in 10 yrs, will he even come out on his own when i leave the door open? What if he doesnt? Then what? I don’t want to scare or traumatize him because of his age, I dont want him to have a heart attack or stress him out and him end up dying so if thats even a possibility am i better off leaving him in his current small cage? That just seems so cruel to me. I want whatever time he has left to be enjoyable and know he is loved and cared for and dont want to do anything that might disrupt or jeopardize his health and safety. I dont know how to proceed, but I dont think its ok to leave him cooped up in such a small cage and never let him out but I also don’t want to get bit or have him scared of me and not trust me. He has been with me for about a week and he seems to have adapted quite well but I dont want to rush him. Should I wait a little longer before I attempt this? He seems pretty happy and content but I just don’t see how he can be content in that cage 24/7

Your advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your responses!
That's so great of you to rescue this tiel!

How about putting the two cages directly door to door? Is that possible?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
And if he doesn’t attempt to move, gently slide a pencil through the bars behind him. He’ll probably move.

Otherwise you’re holding up a cage until your arms hurt.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I would leave the cage next to his cage for a couple of days so he gets used to seeing it first. I do think he will greatly benefit from a larger cage. Poor guy. Glad to hear you rescued him!

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
I'd stack a table or something suitable beside the new cage and set them door to door, after moving most of his stuff, including his new favorite perch and mirror rigth inside new cage, so he has something familiar there, but dont have to go too far into the new cage to find them.

And then count on his liking them enough he would climb in to sit by mirror on favorite perch. He will have plenty time to explore the whole new cage, but in begining I would set it up so everything he is used too is in close proximity, and when he moves more freely around I would spread it out more, or slowly add new things to fill up the cage with more thing to stimulate it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome and thanks for helping this bird. Within the past year or so I have gotten a 20 year tiel and a 30 year old tiel. The 20 year old hadn't been out of his too small cage for 7 years. I kept him in his cage for a couple weeks because I was worried about stressing him out and was trying to let him adapt to his new home. Needlessly it ended up. I coaxed him out of his old cage, he flew around- much to my surprise- and he stepped up right on my hand, I put him in his new cage and he's been fine since. My 30 year old is about to get switched to a bigger cage. He is more of a problem. He doesn't step up and doesn't like coming out. As much as I don't want to, I anticipate that I'm going to have to gently scoop him up and put him in. I guess my point to this is- each bird is different and you really don't know how they're going to react until you try. My prior tiel, Sunny, who passed away, was also an older tiel. His cage was adequate but I thought bigger would be better. I put his new cage near his for 6 months. Seriously. He never voluntarily went near it. I would hang favorite toys. Try to get him to at least stand on top of it, etc. It never worked. I finally gave up and let him keep his old cage since he was hardly ever in his cage anyway. But his original cage wasn't actually too small. If it had been, I would have pushed the issue more. So, you can try seeing if he will go in on his own. I'm a bit doubtful as the older ones can be set in their ways. I would let him see the new cage at least for a bit before trying to put him in. If he would step up on a perch, you might be able to put him in that way. I also still use the smaller cage as a sleep cage for my 20 year old tiel. I think it give him a sense of comfort as it's what he was used to. Let us know how things go. :)

Last edited:

Lenaiya

Real Name
Lenaiya Jaye
That's so great of you to rescue this tiel!

How about putting the two cages directly door to door? Is that possible?
ya know, i JUST thought about that and then checked this thread and saw your suggestion so I am going to try that! Thank you very much! I’ll let you know how it goes!

Lenaiya

Real Name
Lenaiya Jaye
Welcome and thanks for helping this bird. Within the past year or so I have gotten a 20 year tiel and a 30 year old tiel. The 20 year old hadn't been out of his too small cage for 7 years. I kept him in his cage for a couple weeks because I was worried about stressing him out and was trying to let him adapt to his new home. Needlessly it ended up. I coaxed him out of his old cage, he flew around- much to my surprise- and he stepped up right on my hand, I put him in his new cage and he's been fine since. My 30 year old is about to get switched to a bigger cage. He is more of a problem. He doesn't step up and doesn't like coming out. As much as I don't want to, I anticipate that I'm going to have to gently scoop him up and put him in. I guess my point to this is- each bird is different and you really don't know how they're going to react until you try. My prior tiel, Sunny, who passed away, was also an older tiel. His cage was adequate but I thought bigger would be better. I put his new cage near his for 6 months. Seriously. He never voluntarily went near it. I would hang favorite toys. Try to get him to at least stand on top of it, etc. It never worked. I finally gave up and let him keep his old cage since he was hardly ever in his cage anyway. But his original cage wasn't actually too small. If it had been, I would have pushed the issue more. So, you can try seeing if he will go in on his own. I'm a bit doubtful as the older ones can be set in their ways. I would let him see the new cage at least for a bit before trying to put him in. If he would step up on a perch, you might be able to put him in that way. I also still use the smaller cage as a sleep cage for my 20 year old tiel. I think it give him a sense of comfort as it's what he was used to. Let us know how things go. :)
wow, your situation with your 20 yr old tiel is almost identical to mine. I get the impression that this little guy is set in his ways and one thing the person i got him from told me is that he won’t step up, and resists any attempts to get him to. I think that’s the reason he’s never been out of the cage. So i guess when she would open the door and try to get him to step up he wouldn’t go and would flee (not too much room to flee to anywhere but would move in the opposite direction. After the cage dried (i guess dry and cure are two different things) I brought it in the house and put it on top of an entertainment center I am turning into a makeshift “cockatiel condo” lol and its directly across from the cage he’s in now so he has definitely seen it. I’m going to get a little side table that stands at the same height as the door on the new cage and then set his current cage on the table so the doors butt up against eachother and then temporarily “twist tie” the two cages together then open both doors (they slide up) and twist tie them as well so that they stay open and then see what happens. Of course i will transfer his favorite mirror and perch and a couple of toys & treats first! Im excited for him, i know he will be much happier (at least i think he will) and eventually, i would like to have him come out of the cage and hang out with the dogs and I (they are service dogs and won’t hurt him but i want to put the dogs in the other room while attempting this so that he doesnt get scared. But for now i just want to successfully transfer him into the new cage and then take it from there. I just love this little guy! His name is Manu and came from Hawaii 20 yrs ago. He makes me laugh and has his own personality but he keeps to himself alot and can go hours without making a sound, but he gets vocal when he feels compelled to and i’m starting to catch on what he is communicating and its so endearing how he lets me know things just by making certain noises. Otherwise he is as quiet as a mouse!

thank you for your advice and sharing your stories with me. I am so sorry for your loss with Sunny, I am sure you miss him dearly. My deepest condolences go out to you.

i’ll let you know how the transition goes! Thanks again!
AD4F6F5C-8AD4-410B-A879-6D7FC2A8DD3E.png

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is adorable.! He looks a lot like my tiel Rosie. (My 30 year old- actually a foster). And thanks. Sunny was my heart bird. He came to us when he was 15 and died at 20. Which at the time, I thought 20 was old. LOL. Now, I have 2 who are older than he is. (I don't know Scooter's- the 20 year old's hatch day but he has to be closer to 21 now than 20.) I have found that these senior tiels are surprisingly resilient and I think I stress out more than they do. Some things to think about with senior tiels- some rope perches are good for them to help with not getting arthritis in their feet. I don't know what his diet is but I add some senior nutriberries to my tiels' diets as they have things in them aimed specifically to senior tiels like milk thistle. Senior tiels hold a very special place in my heart. I know yours will bring you much joy and he is very lucky to have you. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The only thing I need to say is to keep him from the dogs, they're interested,,enough said there, and...as for hanging his cage outside, place it on the deck, porch, whatever you have.. instead...if the cage falls or the bottom falls out, then you risk losing him..I'm not being rude, just safe. Good luck with the little guy, Thank you for helping him .

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Apologies, haven't really read much through your thread.... but thought this may be helpful. :)