• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice if you have any

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
first off I will make this as short as I can second cant space in here it will all run one after the other Mango loves people I have my 31 yr old grandson staying with me its great Mango loves it BUT dosent want me in the apt when my grandsons home I get attacked I have to leave , I go out my grandson puts Mango in cage I come back problem solved but my grandson has to be in Mangos sight or he screams he can see me but he wants my grandson , L understand in the wild he would chase his mate out if a stray bird was to enter his area so im thinking that's what hes doing to me Dereks been here a week every day its the same , when Derek was away last weekend Mango was great with me Derek is away this weekend tonight Mango was great , Derek is planning on being with me a few months I don't want Mango caged how do I handle this , When I say im attacked I am he wont let up till I leave the apt When hes caged we bring him in the main room I don't leave his cage in the bedroom but he wont eat no matter what I try to feed him any sugestions im all ears thanks doll Mango

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
One way for him to remain in the same room with you both would be a wing clip, just enough he's not dangerous to you. I know you love him having his freedom so this may not be an option for you.

I'm sure some others will be on here and help you with some positive training methods that might help. Attacks by a parrot protecting there 'chosen one' can be very scary, not to mention dangerous. How does your Grandson feel about this affection Mango's bestowing on him? Perhaps he can somehow show Mango he's not interested?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like he really really loves Derek! You may just have to cage him when Derek is around.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
At first Derek was afraid also thought I was crazy having a bird that attacks me,,lol but now hes seen how gental Mango is hes beginning to understand why I love this bird Mango is on Dereks dhoulder all the time Im out Derek spent a hole day with Mango not a problem I don't like the idea of caging him hes doing what he would do in the wild hes a bird Im also afraid to clip his wings cause last time he stripped all his feathes down the front of him he was a mess thanks for the suggestion hugs doll

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Sounds like he really really loves Derek! You may just have to cage him when Derek is around.
Mango is this way with every one he loves every one but attacks me to leave

parrotkid

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlin
How long is Derek staying for? If you love him having his freedom I guess you'll have to put up with it or have times when your in the room and Derek isn't or vice-versa! Quite a tricky one to answer though....

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
thanks guess im stuck with this brat thinking im needing protection I am afraid to clip once was fatel don't want him stripping him self again Derek could be with me for 6 to 8 months living alone and not having much company isn't good for a bird with freedom hope this at least helps others but im never home to have company gone every day for 8 to 12 hrs so I gues the few hrs Mango has to be caged at night wont kill him hopping I get moved soon and that will help Mango ajust new home he wont act up he was great when I first came here people came in and he was ok with me but haven't had anyone in in months so hes back to this is our area was like that at the other place I lived to I was hopping some one had same problem and new how to fix it,,,lol Im just glad he loves people that's a good point thanks for trying to help hugs doll

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Mango is this way with every one he loves every one but attacks me to leave
This is the part that confuses me and leaves me unable to give any advice I think would be useful. You mentioned this a couple of weeks ago so it was running through my mind as I read the first post here.

You may be right that he's chasing you to get you away from potential rivals.

Does he only chase you if a man is there or does he do it if there's women over as well?

I'm glad Derek is there to help you and I hope someone here can offer good advice.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't have any advice but I don't think Mango is trying to protect you. I think you are his Mommy and now he sees a potential mate in your grandson.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Do we know for sure Mango is a male? It might not matter, but I'm wondering.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I don't have any advice but I don't think Mango is trying to protect you. I think you are his Mommy and now he sees a potential mate in your grandson.[/QUOTE

HA HA COME TO THINK OF IT MOSTLY GUYS COME THROUGH MY DOORS , GLEN my son BLACKJOHN a kid that comws and goes for the past 25 yrs RICK my friend I help DEREK my grandson , think the only woman was FERGIE WHEN SHE CAME WITH GLEN MANGO HAS BEEN THE SAME WITH ALL EXCEPT RICK BUT WE JUST MOVED HERE SO I THINK IT WAS HE DIDNT FEEL THIS WAS HOME YET but when Fergie came with Glen Mango was ok But Glen came alone I had to leave this is why I am thinking hes protecting me from the guys ,,lol MANGO LOVES EVERY ONE I have no fears of him attacking anyone but meright now heshappy im here alone no problem as always Yes Mango was sexed hes a male hope this helps get a cure,,lol HUGS DOLL

Fergie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Fergie

Mango is definitely very protective of you; it could be just a boy thing, hormones combined with parrot’s nature protecting their mates. One of the most common reasons birds bite is out of fear. A bird's body language can give you clues to behavior. When parrots feel threatened they will react in a variety of ways, including running away, screaming, flailing their wings, hissing, growling, posturing, and biting. Some of the things that can make parrots feel threatened or nervous are: invading their territory,. strangers (lack of trust), changes in their environment, disturbing them when attention is not wanted, unexpected noises, sudden movements, jealousy, negative reinforcement(which has become a habit), abuse, or neglect. Another common reason that causes birds to bite is protecting their mate. If your bird has chosen you for a mate and your bird perceives impending danger, he/she may bite you to try to chase you away from what he/she perceives as a dangerous situation. Your bird may feel that unfamiliar people, new birds, or new pets pose a threat to your safety. In these situations it is best to slowly introduce your bird to the new person, pet, or object, giving your pet enough time to accept and adjust to the change. Not in your case, but birds may also bite out of frustration from lack of attention. Pet birds who are ignored and left in their cages for extended periods of time may take their frustration out on their owners by biting. Giving the bird attention and time out of the cage may curb the biting. Give it a tiny bit more time, it's only been a week with Derek :)

[QUOTE=dolldid;1707463]
I don't have any advice but I don't think Mango is trying to protect you. I think you are his Mommy and now he sees a potential mate in your grandson.[/QUOTE

HA HA COME TO THINK OF IT MOSTLY GUYS COME THROUGH MY DOORS , GLEN my son BLACKJOHN a kid that comws and goes for the past 25 yrs RICK my friend I help DEREK my grandson , think the only woman was FERGIE WHEN SHE CAME WITH GLEN MANGO HAS BEEN THE SAME WITH ALL EXCEPT RICK BUT WE JUST MOVED HERE SO I THINK IT WAS HE DIDNT FEEL THIS WAS HOME YET but when Fergie came with Glen Mango was ok But Glen came alone I had to leave this is why I am thinking hes protecting me from the guys ,,lol MANGO LOVES EVERY ONE I have no fears of him attacking anyone but meright now heshappy im here alone no problem as always Yes Mango was sexed hes a male hope this helps get a cure,,lol HUGS DOLL

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The "not letting up until you leave" doesn't sound like protection. It sounds like "I prefer him and don't want you around, but when he's not here, you'll do." A protection bite would be if something startled him, he reached over and bit you to say "c'mon lets go!" and flew away. Protection is not attacking you endlessly.

Fergie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Fergie
Just went to the High Park Vet yesterday advising that he might be attacking you because you're not laying eggs. Also, keep him on your hands instead of being upon your shoulders. Glen's guessing Mango's telling you to lay eggs!!