• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice for sleeping situation

Lindsay08

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay Thompson
I have a 5-month-old white bellied caique. She's a super fun bird very lovey and we have a really good bond already since I spent time with her at the bird store while she was still hand-feeding for 5 weeks. So most of our days are going pretty smoothly and she's getting really comfortable, but I don't think she likes her sleep cage and for a while and I'm not sure if she still doing it she was sleeping at the bottom of the cage in the corner. So after having her home for a few days I went ahead and took her to the exotic vet unfortunately the avian vet was not there that day because it was a Sunday just because I was seriously worried that there's something wrong with her because she was sleeping on the bottom of the cage and the night before she ended up having a night fright. I'm pretty sure she had fallen off of one of the perches in there the second night she was home. Anyhow the vet said she looked really good and she couldn't figure out why she was sleeping on the bottom of the cage. Later that night I did some research apparently in the wild these guys like to sleep in tree cavities so I feel that kind of explains that. But now I've taken out the towels that I had in there per the vet saying I should do so and I put paper towels in there and I ended up getting this it's actually just PVC pipe that I had a fleece insert which was recommended by the bird store that I got her from which I took the fleece out so she wouldn't chew on it and she doesn't sleep in it all she does is roll around and playing it when she's in there. So I have been reading forums and articles and everything up and down ask the vet ask the bird store if there is something I can get her to sleep in that would be safe. When I got her they vehemently said do not get any kind of bird tent Bird box or anything like that because that will make her want to breed or lay eggs when she reaches that age. And then of course we have the issue with birds chewing on fleece and fabrics and dying from that. So I am looking for some advice as to what I can realistically do for her. Does anybody have something that they've made where they're comfortable but it doesn't cause them to want to breed or make them aggressive or could kill them by eating it... Any advice is welcome thank you so much for listening

Charlietoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Caiques are honestly just kind of weird birds. If the vet says she’s fine and she’s acting normal, just let her sleep where she wants to. Mine used to sleep in the bottom corner of her cage. She likes to be tucked in close to the wall. I put some papertowel down and let her sleep wherever she wanted. In the wild they don’t have tents or beds or anything so I wouldn’t worry about giving her anything special to lay on.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I have a cardboard tube for guinea pigs that my two girls sleep in (I got the tube on Amazon). I hang it from their ceiling with plastic toy chains with a perch nearby for them to access the tube. This is safe for them to chew on. I haven't witnessed any excessive breeding behavior (no egg laying, some masturbation). Both birds are 8 years old and are DNA sexed females (they are bonded buddies, but not clutch mates).

Lindsay08

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay Thompson
I have a cardboard tube for guinea pigs that my two girls sleep in (I got the tube on Amazon). I hang it from their ceiling with plastic toy chains with a perch nearby for them to access the tube. This is safe for them to chew on. I haven't witnessed any excessive breeding behavior (no egg laying, some masturbation). Both birds are 8 years old and are DNA sexed females (they are bonded buddies, but not clutch mates).
That's good to know. Since she's so young I just have no idea obviously how she's going to be when she matures. I like that idea with the cardboard tube that's pretty cool. I did notice last night when I went into close her blackout curtains that she actually was in that PVC tube. I put paper towels down as well and go ahead and let her sleep wherever she wants. She's been doing really well with target training she has a good time with it. I've heard that having them trained really helps with the hormones. I've had four other parents and I didn't train them to any extent like I'm doing with her. She definitely loves the cuddle. I was going to post another thread and ask and I'm sure people have probably mentioned it at some point... I have heard that while she's a baby I can pretty much pet her anywhere to get her used to being touched and she loves it but I'm a little curious as to what point do I stop doing that and only pay her head in nape. And since they're so into having their bellies played with is that still okay to do that once they hit maturity?

Lindsay08

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay Thompson
That was supposed to say parrots not parents

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Please other members correct me if I'm wrong, I think that caiques hit sexual maturity around 2 years of age. I'm just guessing here, but I think that it would be a good idea to start focusing on only touching "safe zones" (nape, head) around 1 year old. It is so hard not to cuddle a cuddly bird...so I'm just saying what sounds logical to me. I got my two bonded girls at the same time (about 5 months old), so they are not trained very well...I didn't take the time (they were more focused on each other than training). They are very strong willed birds, but so fun!! I can't imagine life without them.

Lindsay08

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsay Thompson
Please other members correct me if I'm wrong, I think that caiques hit sexual maturity around 2 years of age. I'm just guessing here, but I think that it would be a good idea to start focusing on only touching "safe zones" (nape, head) around 1 year old. It is so hard not to cuddle a cuddly bird...so I'm just saying what sounds logical to me. I got my two bonded girls at the same time (about 5 months old), so they are not trained very well...I didn't take the time (they were more focused on each other than training). They are very strong willed birds, but so fun!! I can't imagine life without them.
Yeah I will definitely find it hard not to be able to cuddle with her anymore or maybe it's just during their hormonal seasons...? I don't know I see people who have mature caiques That still rub their bellies and play with them and flip them around and all sorts of stuff.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
as far as sleeping goes, caiques in the wild sleep in groups tightly packed in tree crevices.

Tight spaces mean security, not discomfort

She needs a wooden nestbox to sleep in, or a dark hidden corner

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Mango does the same thing !

At first I was concerned. He came from my breeder friends so I know his rearing was correct and was weaned abundantly. That being said, night 2 same corner but I heard beak grinding, saw him scratching his head and raising his neck feathers. He has not changed this sleep pattern. He hangs his beak on a cage rung and I gently rub his beak, talk softly and give the occasional scritch if he wants more love. It was at that point when I saw him perk up and start doing somersaults on his perch. Mango was fine, he just needed to see me and thats the spot he picked. If your Vet says your bird is ok, you bird is ok. Mango is the same age as your fid and all things come in time. Not one single Hop so far, but the somersaults are starting and the shredding has begun. I just let a bird be a bird, knowing full and well that I rule the roost. I NEVER EVER put any fabric of any kind in a cage. Trees are uncomfortable sleeping arrangements and they do fine in the jungle. My house is a Palace with a Feast of plenty. Your sweetie will be fine and I think this behavior is most likely normal. But hey, she could change that habit overnight so dont be alarmed. Its her apartment, she can sleep where she wants. Obviously, just look for puffing at the bottom of the cage and abnormal droppings. Trust your Vet, it was nice to read that you took her there for this event. Shows me that momma fid is watching.

ShelbyA

Moving in
Real Name
Shelby Anderson
I have a 5-month-old white bellied caique. She's a super fun bird very lovey and we have a really good bond already since I spent time with her at the bird store while she was still hand-feeding for 5 weeks. So most of our days are going pretty smoothly and she's getting really comfortable, but I don't think she likes her sleep cage and for a while and I'm not sure if she still doing it she was sleeping at the bottom of the cage in the corner. So after having her home for a few days I went ahead and took her to the exotic vet unfortunately the avian vet was not there that day because it was a Sunday just because I was seriously worried that there's something wrong with her because she was sleeping on the bottom of the cage and the night before she ended up having a night fright. I'm pretty sure she had fallen off of one of the perches in there the second night she was home. Anyhow the vet said she looked really good and she couldn't figure out why she was sleeping on the bottom of the cage. Later that night I did some research apparently in the wild these guys like to sleep in tree cavities so I feel that kind of explains that. But now I've taken out the towels that I had in there per the vet saying I should do so and I put paper towels in there and I ended up getting this it's actually just PVC pipe that I had a fleece insert which was recommended by the bird store that I got her from which I took the fleece out so she wouldn't chew on it and she doesn't sleep in it all she does is roll around and playing it when she's in there. So I have been reading forums and articles and everything up and down ask the vet ask the bird store if there is something I can get her to sleep in that would be safe. When I got her they vehemently said do not get any kind of bird tent Bird box or anything like that because that will make her want to breed or lay eggs when she reaches that age. And then of course we have the issue with birds chewing on fleece and fabrics and dying from that. So I am looking for some advice as to what I can realistically do for her. Does anybody have something that they've made where they're comfortable but it doesn't cause them to want to breed or make them aggressive or could kill them by eating it... Any advice is welcome thank you so much for listening
If she is prone to night frights you could always place a night light, very soft, dim light, somewhere by the cage at night. It is recommended for birds who are prone to night frights. ;) As for a sleeping place you could try the little platforms made for the corner of their cages. Hope this helps!