• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need advice for cockatiel tame

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Hello.
I have a cockatiel for the first time and his name is cherry. Last week, when Cherry was doing tame training with me, she stayed still when she touched his head with a finger with a spray millet, and came up to me. Last week, Cherry wanted to come out of the cage, so he opened the door, and he liked to see the window and get the sunlight. My bird usually sleeps at 7:30 at night. So I'm training tame, but it's still not on my hand and I'm scared. If you ask to put it in the cage, it will fly to another place, and if you ask to put it in the cage, it will make hiss sound to bite. In that case, you have to force him to catch him, or he's still scared of his hand, so he uses something else to lure him into the cage. It has only bee 2 months since it came to me. How can I do step up training? Also, how do I know my cockatiel's behavior such as happy, angry, afraid, or trust me.
Please help me and thank you for reading my email.

mak

Rollerblading along the road
Hello, from the video you attached it does not appear that cherry enjoys having his head touched, rather, he is more interested in eating the millet so he tolerates the touching. I don't think this will build trust.
Also, catching him to put him in the cage will not build trust. For the time being I would recommend not trying to touch him, rather lure him into the cage with a treat (millet etc.) and work on training him to step onto your finger.
It takes a long time to train and even longer to build trust.
I wish you much success.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
Hello, from the video you attached it does not appear that cherry enjoys having his head touched, rather, he is more interested in eating the millet so he tolerates the touching. I don't think this will build trust.
Also, catching him to put him in the cage will not build trust. For the time being I would recommend not trying to touch him, rather lure him into the cage with a treat (millet etc.) and work on training him to step onto your finger.
It takes a long time to train and even longer to build trust.
I wish you much success.
Thanks for responding to my post. Then, when tame, if I give it with my hand, will it come to my hand someday. I quarantined it for a month and combined it in a room with another bird. Would you open the cherry cage if it's comfortable? He yells because he wants to come out of the cage.

mak

You can let him out of the cage if he wants, when it's time to go back you can lure him with a treat. Not all cockatiels like hands (mine does not like to be touched and is scared of fingers but he steps up and sits on my shoulder). I don't know what other kind of bird you have, but keep in mind that not all species get along and can be out together.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
You can let him out of the cage if he wants, when it's time to go back you can lure him with a treat. Not all cockatiels like hands (mine does not like to be touched and is scared of fingers but he steps up and sits on my shoulder). I don't know what other kind of bird you have, but keep in mind that not all species get along and can be out together.
Oh okay! I use your skill to bring him back his cage and it works!
Thank you! I have one a Green cheek conure.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I just want to say that I disagree and I think this is a great training technique, and actually reccomend it. It teaches the bird treats and gentle touching are good. And when done right, can teach a fearful bird to enjoy permission based petting. If that cockatiel just 100% hated being touched it would bite, or not touch the treat.
It builds trust for both the bird and owner.
I do however, recommend feeding a smaller treat to avoid possible mistakes.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
I just want to say that I disagree and I think this is a great training technique, and actually reccomend it. It teaches the bird treats and gentle touching are good. And when done right, can teach a fearful bird to enjoy permission based petting. If that cockatiel just 100% hated being touched it would bite, or not touch the treat.
It builds trust for both the bird and owner.
I do however, recommend feeding a smaller treat to avoid possible mistakes.
Thank you for your respond. I do not understand this part "I do however, recommend feeding a smaller treat to avoid possible mistakes." could you please explain to me..?
Sorry to ask you again.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I agree with @mak . If your cockatiel was enjoying the scritches, he/she would be puffed up and bowing. I’m not trying to come for your training technique, I just don’t suggest continuing with an action your cockatiel only seems to be tolerating for the treats.

peaches13

Strolling the yard
I agree with @mak . If your cockatiel was enjoying the scritches, he/she would be puffed up and bowing. I’m not trying to come for your training technique, I just don’t suggest continuing with an action your cockatiel only seems to be tolerating for the treats.
I think I went to fast to trust with him. He is still like to eat millet so I will not touch his head until he feels comfy to me.
Thank you for your response!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you for your respond. I do not understand this part "I do however, recommend feeding a smaller treat to avoid possible mistakes." could you please explain to me..?
Sorry to ask you again.
I would use smaller sprigs of millet. Maybe the little balls if possible. Just for convience sake, like he could move down the millet. Not a big deal, just a suggestion.:)

peaches13

Strolling the yard
I would use smaller sprigs of millet. Maybe the little balls if possible. Just for convience sake, like he could move down the millet. Not a big deal, just a suggestion.:)
I think that is good idea to me. Thank you for your response.