• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need advice for aggresive lovebird

Sun_L3ne

Moving in
So I want to get my bird a mate because he mates with random objects. But he hates other birds and attacks them. someone said that the bird needs to be peach-faced to be with him.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
He doesn't "need" is another peach face. It would be nice if he had a friend but you never know if they will even get along or should be allowed in the same cage. Is the bird DNA'd male? Are you looking to breed? Regardless if you plan to keep them in the same cage, it would be best practice to quarantine the new bird for at least 30 days. Worse case scenario, are you prepared to have two birds hate each other and have separate play time?

Your bird can have other species as friends but they should not be in the same cage. Mine loves green cheeks and hates cockatiels, but every bird is different

Sun_L3ne

Moving in
He doesn't "need" is another peach face. It would be nice if he had a friend but you never know if they will even get along or should be allowed in the same cage. Is the bird DNA'd male? Are you looking to breed? Regardless if your plan to keep them in the same cage, it would be best practice to quarantine the new bird for at least 30 days. Worst-case scenario, are you prepared to have two birds hate each other and have separate playtime?

Your bird can have other species as friends but they should not be in the same cage. Mine loves green cheeks and hates cockatiels, but every bird is different
My bird does not like other lovebirds he prefers other bird types. Mostly budgies lol

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Don't let him be with a budgie unsupervised, lovebirds can be aggressive. You don't need a mate for him, you just need to discourage this behavior and give him time. It will pass. Make sure he has at least 12 hours of undisturbed darkness to sleep, and no warm or mushy foods.

Did you already get another bird?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You don't need a mate for him
This is true. Though if he is alone a lot, or not getting many hours of attention daily, then a friend would be nice.

Sun_L3ne

Moving in
Don't let him be with a budgie unsupervised, lovebirds can be aggressive. You don't need a mate for him, you just need to discourage this behavior and give him time. It will pass. Make sure he has at least 12 hours of undisturbed darkness to sleep, and no warm or mushy foods.

Did you already get another bird?
No I did not get him one yet.