• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Advice! Baby cockatiel hatched

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Hey guys one of my cockatiels eggs hatched as I have been hearing chirping and feeding sounds where they are nesting. Please give some advice on how to deal with this situation because we took lots of precautions to make them not lay eggs but somehow they had one that hatched.

For more on what happened, our vet told us to buy dummy eggs so the cockatiels would stop mating which worked but by the time we got them they had already laid 3 eggs. Once we put them in Ember rejected 2 of her real eggs and liked the dummy ones more but now I see that she had a baby already or something.

We have raised budgies before from the start a long time ago and also hand fed Ember when she was a month old but have never dealt with a new baby cockatiel. I Have been doing research now as I was not expecting this but would really like some advice on what to do in terms of raising it.

Since my cockatiels are young, the female is 3 years old and the male is just over 1 year, I’m not sure if they are going to be good parents. So do we Need to take the baby and raise is ourselves or should we let them handle it?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I Forget to mention, their nesting site is under a couch so it hard us to see the cockatiels so we weren’t able to see if they had laid more eggs or not. All I had seen was that she was rejecting her real ones by leaving them outside.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hopefully @Zara will give you some advice, threads or links to read.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I'd definitely do your best to get them out from under the couch that's in no way safe at all for the parents or the chick.
if i move them will they still stay with the baby then?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
if i move them will they still stay with the baby then?
I would imagine so especially being this young. They will be much safer in a cage in general and you'll have an easier time monitoring them. Hopefully the other members will be able to pop on soon and give their insight.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
The parents already abandoned the baby so we took it out and put it in a warm box to sit in

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
There is no foolproof way to stop humans having babies, short of major surgery. The same is true of most animals.

But you are at least trying to manage the cokatiel breeding process. By now you know that the easiset way to manage it is to provide a properly monitored nest box. So in the future you will need to mark each egg as it arrives so you can tell which is real and which is a dummy.

Unfortunately Mother Nature teaches new parents how to raise chicks by allowing them to fail and learn from their mistakes. Inevitably chicks will die, despite our best intentions.

Now that you have removed the chick, the parents remain at the same initial learning phase, and may also repeat the process until they learn.

The chick needs to be fed several times a day during the daylight hours with a baby feeding formula, using a small syringe ( one drop at a time).

And it needs to be in a warm dark humid spot. Good luck

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is important to transfer the chick to a brooder. You can DIY one using a critter carrier and a heating pad. Temperature and humidity must be maintained steady, as fluxuations can cause crop problems.
Line the critter carrier with aspen shavings.

Some helpful links;
cockatiel cottage