• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need a poopologists opinion

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Hi everyone,

I’ve posted a couple other questions about my nine month old green cheek conure and his worrying droppings, so here goes another:

To give you some background Manny has always been a vivacious, silly, and ravenous bird. I’ve had him for almost two months. About a month ago I saw that his urates had curdled and panicked and took him to the emergency vet only to get a clean bill of health and a recommendation that we switch his food to an all pellet diet.

We immediately did that and he has been eating Zupreem natural pellets since then.

Although his poos appeared to return to normal very quickly, about a week later I noticed that they smelled sour and also that he was making HUGE poopies, not just in the morning but all the time. However, his poos looked like perfect buddy poos so I attributed it to maybe the new pellets as his pellets also smell slightly sour. His poopies since then have been smaller and less sour smelling.

About an hour ago I noticed one of Manny’s poopies was wet and the urates were a bit curdled. Color was fine but the urates curdling are bugging me.

Aside from that Manny is a consistent 69g-70g and eating Zupreem pellets and three almonds every day. We’re working on the veggies. He’s bright eyed, alert, talky, curious, and wants to chew on everything. He’s also quite the sweet little man.

Another thing that’s worrying me is the fact that Manny is shedding his feathers like leaves. Granted, new feathers are growing in, but it’s making him look chewed.

I’m going to call the avian vet when they open tomorrow, but for now does anyone have any advice?

Here are several pictures: The first is of the poo that made me take him to the emergency vet, the second is the one from just now, and the third is a new poo that he made while I was typing this! I don’t knoe if you can see but it appears to have a bubble in it. Ugghhh I just want him to be okay. He’s such a little baby.

Attachments

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It all depends on time of day and what's in the intestines that has to come out as it was eaten. I know one day I freaked out later in the day after my Cockatoo plopped out a gross reddish/orange colored poop and remembered she ate sweet potato earlier on in the day. Her poops are a nice plump/solid ball like poop from eating Harrison's pellets. And urates are always a nice color.

What veggies were consumed earlier today? And in the first picture is that seed in there?

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! To answer your question that is not a seed in the first picture. Manny has never been on a seed diet. Prior to eating Zupreem he was on a blend of nuts and cooked veggies from the breeders. Unfortunately he hasn’t eaten any veggies today because he refuses to. I keep working with him to try to eat some but he just refuses!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I know many do a chop. My birds gets pieces and chucks since they are all birds who use their feet to eat.

But, try a chop of a few favorites he does like. There are some days mine do not go for the fresh. It's time of day, or if they simply don't want it. If they eat and snack, then when I offer they are like meh!

Keep trying though. Birdie breads and mashes are a good way to get some good things in too. Also hanging skewers with fruits and veggies is a good way to allow foraging and snacking.

And the poop doesn't look bad. Light green urates aren't good but the white/creamy white is normal. The green, well depending on what was eaten can differ the consistency of a more wetter, looser poo. Veggies can surely change that.
:)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
The poops don't really look off to me. The urates just look like they're spreading out after making contact with the ground.

Forgive me if you've seen me say this before (I've posted it several times!), but I've found the easiest way to get them to try new things is by monkey-see-monkey-do. Birds are such social animals, and they will eat what their flockmates eat. I would start by pretending to eat something the bird currently eats (either their food, or a snack item of theirs). Make a big deal of it -- smack your lips, make interesting faces, say "mmmm, yummy! want some?" and then proceed to offer the bird some of their own. They'll get the idea that what you're eating is edible/tasty. You can start to introduce new foods this same way. Conures seem to love crisp, juicy fruit. Try a bit of apple in front of the bird, then offer a bite.

Bird breads and chop are pretty great as well, since you can add tons of good stuff to them and introduce new flavors and textures. Sometimes birds are picky, or the presentation will make a difference. Rupert (Green Cheek) won't eat safflower seeds normally, but relishes them as sprouts. Likewise, Sherbie (Lovebird) hates dry sunflower seeds, but will eat them sprouted. You just have to be more stubborn than the bird and keep at it. :)

Recently, I offered Rupert some veggies in a dish with water (bobbing for apples and other goodies). Rupert thought it was great!

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Looks yummy to me! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't see anything wrong with that poop.

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
@Peachfaced
Before I read your comment I, without thinking, pretended to eat his veggie mash earlier this week and sure enough he started eating it and LOVES it. I’m so so happy! No questionable poopies either! Thanks for the reply! Sorry to get back to you so late!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
@Peachfaced
Before I read your comment I, without thinking, pretended to eat his veggie mash earlier this week and sure enough he started eating it and LOVES it. I’m so so happy! No questionable poopies either! Thanks for the reply! Sorry to get back to you so late!
Great job!! That's wonderful news! :hug8:

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Those poops look really good for poop. On a scale of 1 to 10 , ten being the best, in a contest I'd award 10. Lol

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
@Peachfaced
A case of "Monkeybird see, Monkeybird do"!

Conures are a piece of cake to get to eat new stuff, try a rescue Cockatiel that was on a (very poor) all seed diet. But once he saw Nibble eating the Good Stuff, Piper joined right in and has become the best eating tiel I have.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The poop looks ok to me also.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
Poops likes fine. My green cheek now always wants my orange soda cause he sees me drinking it. I always tell him he cant have it but he tries anyway! I'll have to try this skewer idea..