• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need a big favor please? Help with buying syringes

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like your vet is using these syringes and and removing the needle as necessary.
How about checking with your vet regarding the syringes you are being given?

BTW, nothing wrong with asking your vet for additional syringes. I'm sure you pay good money towards vet care.
Some birds bite off the tips of syringes and vet needs to supply extra.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Looks like your vet is using these syringes and and removing the needle as necessary.
How about checking with your vet regarding the syringes you are being given?

BTW, nothing wrong with asking your vet for additional syringes. I'm sure you pay good money towards vet care.
Some birds bite off the tips of syringes and vet needs to supply extra.

Ahh, I think you're right! I will definitely ask because I don't want to convert measurements.

I didn't want to bother them about the syringes too much cause they act kind of stingy about them even when I told them I'd pay for extras. But you're so right that I'm paying good money so I won't feel bad to ask for even more. Giving 3 meds twice a day uses up syringes fairly quickly.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ahh, I think you're right! I will definitely ask because I don't want to convert measurements.

I didn't want to bother them about the syringes too much cause they act kind of stingy about them even when I told them I'd pay for extras. But you're so right that I'm paying good money so I won't feel bad to ask for even more. Giving 3 meds twice a day uses up syringes fairly quickly.
I purchase 1cc syringes from here: Box Monoject TB Tuberculin Syringes 1mL Luer Slip 8881501400- Box/100
Easy to get dosage correct because of how the syringes are marked.... .01 increments as well as .05 increments.
These are what I generally get from the vet.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ask your vet im confused and im not buying syringes

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I purchase 1cc syringes from here: Box Monoject TB Tuberculin Syringes 1mL Luer Slip 8881501400- Box/100
Easy to get dosage correct because of how the syringes are marked.... .01 increments as well as .05 increments.
These are what I generally get from the vet.
Good to know, I will bookmark that page for future reference but will try to get some from the vet first this week. Thank you again!

Ask your vet im confused and im not buying syringes
Sorry again for the trouble. I really appreciate you trying to help!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
On the syringe you showed, 0.1 ml would be at the 10 unit mark.
On the syringes I showed. 0.1 ml would be at the .1

The syringes @iamwhoiam showed a link to would be the ones I would choose but I didn't find them in the few minutes I had to look. They are marked every. 0.01 ml. So 0.07 is at the 0.7 mark.

You can get any 0.5 ml or 1.0ml syringe to work. If you are having trouble post a picture of the syringes you get with the numbers facing out, and I can screen shot the photo and mark where you would draw it to for each dose.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

The syringes @iamwhoiam showed a link to would be the ones I would choose but I didn't find them in the few minutes I had to look. They are marked every. 0.01 ml. So 0.07 is at the 0.7 mark.

You can get any 0.5 ml or 1.0ml syringe to work. If you are having trouble post a picture of the syringes you get with the numbers facing out, and I can screen shot the photo and mark where you would draw it to for each dose.
That is so helpful! Thank you so much!!

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
I don't know how to put in a link so here is a screen shot.
If you click the 3 triangle looking dots on the top right side of the picture, it will give you options of how you would like to send to others and copy links.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

The .7 mark is .7 which is 10X the amount of .07. The .07 mark is 7 lines from the tip or 3 lines before the 0.1 mark. It's a very small amount.
@CrazyBirdChick If you want I can take a photo of some medication in a 1ml syringe at the .07 mark.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The .7 mark is .7 which is 10X the amount of .07. The .07 mark is 7 lines from the tip or 3 lines before the 0.1 mark. It's a very small amount.
@CrazyBirdChick If you want I can take a photo of some medication in a 1ml syringe at the .07 mark.
I'm pretty sure I finally get it now thanks to all of everyone's help. You guys are the best! Thank you again!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Oops. That was a typo. You are correct. Thanks fir catching that.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Syringes are an issue. I use them and felt bad asking for more at the vet.

Check out the thread below where I asked for help. Particularly Post 74, 75, 76

Never EVER worry about asking for help. Besides getting your answer, the are people that lurk on the forums without signing up. They often come here for answers and your questions could help another feathered friend.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Syringes are an issue. I use them and felt bad asking for more at the vet.

Check out the thread below where I asked for help. Particularly Post 74, 75, 76

Never EVER worry about asking for help. Besides getting your answer, the are people that lurk on the forums without signing up. They often come here for answers and your questions could help another feathered friend.
Thank you so much! I went back and read that thread and it never even occurred to me that hot water is degrading the rubber. That makes sense. I will see about getting more syringes from the vet when they open tomorrow.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you so much! I went back and read that thread and it never even occurred to me that hot water is degrading the rubber. That makes sense. I will see about getting more syringes from the vet when they open tomorrow.
I didn't re-read the thread but I recall that one vet told me that soapy water would also break them down.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane