• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need a advance for seperating budgies

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
Hello Avian Avenue and people. I want a suggestion of separation pair budgie. Problem with my male Tyler, he's annoying Lemon like anything. He is continuously feeding, kissing her, he is not giving her space and peace all the day. He follows her wherever she goes, always stay next to her, feeding, kissing her. I observe that she's not being active this days, always stay calm. He's not let her breathe.

I have noticed whenever Tyler is out the cage, she looks happy and chirping, she's not coming out of the cage when Tyler is out of the cage. So I have decided to seperate them, is that a fine step to do? I think he's in hormonal mating behaviour because whenever he's out of the cage, he is trying to do the same thing with other female birds, fighting with male budgies. I don't understand how to put this end. Kindly suggest me something if anybody have an idea about this issue. It is so helpful, thankyou.!!!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yes, that sounds like normal courting behavior for a male budgie.

How old are your budgies? What is their diet like? Do they have a nestbox, cozy hut, or any other dark, nest-like toys in their cage? Do they sleep in a dark room or have a cage cover? How many toys do they have in their cage?

There are several ways to reduce hormonal behavior without separating the birds. The best approach will depend on your current setup and what works best for you and your birds.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna

How old are your budgies? What is their diet like? Do they have a nestbox, cozy hut, or any other dark, nest-like toys in their cage? Do they sleep in a dark room or have a cage cover? How many toys do they have in their cage?

There are several ways to reduce hormonal behavior without separating the birds. The best approach will depend on your current setup and what works best for you and your birds.
Thankyou for the reply ❤. He's 1yr old, she's 8 months old, their diet is all seed mix, recently I have stopped giving them sun flower seeds, because I read somewhere on internet not to feed sunflower seed, weekly twice sprouts, green leaves, few vegitables(but most of my birds don't like to eat vegitables) No I don't place any nestboxes in cages, I don't have any idea about breeding as per now. I switch on a bedlamp and I cover the cage with cage cover over the nights.

Cage has 3 Swings, and a kind of hut toy, bungee climbing robe, and in bird room has few more toys. Whenever I'm home, cage doors are being opened. I never saw him playing with any toys either. I have tried to separate him couple of times but he goes back to his previous cage again. I have 10budgies, non of them like him. He gets angry just like that. In his Cage having 2females, and him, he always care lemon but fight with cookie,. And he's ok with other females even he is out of the cage. I don't know why he hates only cookie among all birds.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna

And I'm worried about her size too, she looks so short, he's trying to mate with her, but I think she can't handle the breeding process.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Thankyou for the reply ❤. He's 1yr old, she's 8 months old, their diet is all seed mix, recently I have stopped giving them sun flower seeds, because I read somewhere on internet not to feed sunflower seed, weekly twice sprouts, green leaves, few vegitables(but most of my birds don't like to eat vegitables) No I don't place any nestboxes in cages, I don't have any idea about breeding as per now.
Yes, your female is too young. Even if you were interested in letting them breed, I would advise waiting until she is older. Budgies mature quickly and can breed as early as six months. But it is recommended to wait until both parents are over a year old before trying, because younger birds are more likely to have problems. Plus the combination of inexperienced birds and inexperienced owner means if something goes wrong, it is much harder to provide the proper support - like hand-feeding abandoned babies or identifying possible hazards, like egg-binding. Young females are also at higher risk for egg-binding, especially if they are on a nutritionally poor diet (all seeds) or don't get enough calcium and vitamin D to support egg production.

If the birds were older and everyone seemed to be pair bonded and happy with each other, I would say separation isn't necessary. You can reduce hormonal behavior by rearranging the cage, increasing hours of darkness, removing any enclosed or nest-like toys (hut toy), and adjusting the diet. If any eggs are found, they can be removed or replaced with dummy eggs

However, since Lemon is too young to safely lay eggs and because Tyler is fighting with Cookie, I think separation is the right choice.

How is the relationship between Cookie and Lemon? I would leave the girls together, if they are friendly and move Tyler in to a cage without any females or with a older female. Don't let him out at the same time as Lemon or he will just keep on courting her.

Are all your budgies in the same room? Moving him to another room might help, but I would not want him to be isolated away from any bird companionship. Budgies need a flock ... or at least a full-time companion. If there is another budgie that Tyler gets along with, they could be temporarily moved to another room together until he chills out and loses interest in Lemon.

Last edited:

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
Yes, your female is too young. Even if you were interested in letting them breed, I would advise waiting until she is older. Budgies mature quickly and can breed as early as six months. But it is recommended to wait until both parents are over a year old before trying, because younger birds are more likely to have problems. Plus the combination of inexperienced birds and inexperienced owner means if something goes wrong, it is much harder to provide the proper support - like hand-feeding abandoned babies or identifying possible hazards, like egg-binding. Young females are also at higher risk for egg-binding, especially if they are on a nutritionally poor diet (all seeds) or don't get enough calcium and vitamin D to support egg production.

If the birds were older and everyone seemed to be pair bonded and happy with each other, I would say separation isn't necessary. You can reduce hormonal behavior by rearranging the cage, increasing hours of darkness, removing any enclosed or nest-like toys (hut toy), and adjusting the diet. If any eggs are found, they can be removed or replaced with dummy eggs

However, since Lemon is too young to safely lay eggs and because Tyler is fighting with Cookie, I think separation is the right choice.

How is the relationship between Cookie and Lemon? I would leave the girls together, if they are friendly and move Tyler in to a cage without any females or with a older female. Don't let him out at the same time as Lemon or he will just keep on courting her.

Are all your budgies in the same room? Moving him to another room might help, but I would not want him to be isolated away from any bird companionship. Budgies need a flock ... or at least a full-time companion. If there is another budgie that Tyler gets along with, they could be temporarily moved to another room together until he chills out and loses interest in Lemon.
I am so thankful for what you said.. thankyou. Yeah, it is reason I'm not letting them breed, and I'm not ready to get breed any of my birds, someone suggested me that no need to let pet birds breed, it is safer for them. Yeah Cookie and lemon are good friends, I never saw them fighting, their bond is good, Lemon and cookie feed eachother.

Yes, All birds are in the same room, Tyler has interest in every female bird I think,. When he's in the cage, he annoys Lemon, when is out of the cage, Lemon wouldn't like to come out of cage, when lemon is not around him, in that time he tries to connect with every female, often he disturbs bonded other pair birds, he tries to interact with other female birds, and fight with their bonded male. He's such aggressive, it is the reason I'm always keep an eye on him.

I think it is the best idea of taking him to another room. I hope it works, I will try... Thankyou for giving me your time and valueable information...

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I wish you the best of luck and I hope it works out.

I understand how hard it can be to negotiate budgie flock dynamics. I have twelve feisty budgies of my own. Ten girls and two boys, so things can get a little spicy sometimes. :)

Thankfully I have the hormones under control at the moment. Knock on wood.

Maddys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nagarjuna
I wish you the best of luck and I hope it works out.

I understand how hard it can be to negotiate budgie flock dynamics. I have twelve feisty budgies of my own. Ten girls and two boys, so things can get a little spicy sometimes. :)

Thankfully I have the hormones under control at the moment. Knock on wood.
Thankyou so such . You're so sweet.. ❤