• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nebulizing isn't for sissies

Status
Not open for further replies.

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
Im glad your trying the nebulizing treatments. It sounds like it will get the meds where they are needed! I hope she feels better soon! i hate meds that make me feel crappy and nauseous. :hug8:feel better sweet olive.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8:Feel better soon Olive.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Hang in there, Ollie girl. :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You may find that she is regurgitating merely due to the nervousness of something new and/or all of the meds she is getting. Itraconozole is no walk in the park and considering as long as she has been on it, she may be getting some disfunction of the liver or kidneys, which in turn causes nausea. Lamisil is much less toxic to the liver and I recommend you discuss the benefits of switching her orals to Lamisil (terbinefine). Did you get the Milk Thistle? It is supportive of liver function, but not a cure all. Don't be surprised if you have to take a vacation from the fungicide occasionally and let her liver recover. One of the great things about the liver is that it is quickly regenerative.

Sure wish your Dr. would call "you know who".

Hank also got so he would stick his nose right up by the outlet in both the nebulizer and the oxygen box. The night he died he had his face stuck right next to the oxygen outlet.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I will try that tomorrow. I'm always happy about her eating, no matter when it is, so I didn't want to interrupt her dinner. Hopefully she'll eat after this too. :( Now that I know she gets nauseous we will do it differently tomorrow.
Maybe giveing her misting from spray bottle will help her eyes from stinging poor little girl you spoil that little fire spirt keep it up Olive we are all pulling for you.(AND you Elen;)

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may find that she is regurgitating merely due to the nervousness of something new and/or all of the meds she is getting. Itraconozole is no walk in the park and considering as long as she has been on it, she may be getting some disfunction of the liver or kidneys, which in turn causes nausea. Lamisil is much less toxic to the liver and I recommend you discuss the benefits of switching her orals to Lamisil (terbinefine). Did you get the Milk Thistle? It is supportive of liver function, but not a cure all. Don't be surprised if you have to take a vacation from the fungicide occasionally and let her liver recover. One of the great things about the liver is that it is quickly regenerative.

Sure wish your Dr. would call "you know who".

Hank also got so he would stick his nose right up by the outlet in both the nebulizer and the oxygen box. The night he died he had his face stuck right next to the oxygen outlet.
I do have the milk thistle you recommended but my vet said it may bind to the medications that are metabolized in the liver. She has been on the itraconazole for 4 weeks now. We will be checking liver enzymes and CBC at the next appt and adjust medications as necessary. I've definitely pushed my vet on the terbinafine, but she thinks itraconazole is a bit more effective so we should do this first to get the asper under control and then switch. Terbinafine has the benefit of also being better on their appetite so I definitely want to do that next. My vet was impressed with her condition so we are hopeful. I wish she'd call your vet too, but I can't make her. :(

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ohhh....feel better, Olive sweetie. :hug8:

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
No dating for this girl, she is way too hormonal! :rofl::rofl:
Oh no Micky read this >>>>Micky slowly moving to back of cage facing wall peeping <<<< Ahhh he will be alright as long as Olive get's better

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
I know how hard it is to go through treatments with our beloved companions, get well soon Olive!! :hug8::hug8::hug8:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no Micky read this >>>>Micky slowly moving to back of cage facing wall peeping <<<< Ahhh he will be alright as long as Olive get's better
:lol:I'm sure Mickey wouldn't want a long distance relationship anyway.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh poor girl, I went through this with Peanut, she would put her face in front of the mist and nap too. It will make you feel better Olive honey, just hang in there....you hang in there too Mom.:heart:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Nebulizing is going better so far today. I got her in the box before she ate anything and there's no nausea. She's just shredding the papers like crazy and trying to get to me. :o:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm sure she'll get used to it in no time. :)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet mentioned that some birds need injectable sedatives because they panic in the box. :eek: Really glad we don't need those, I don't think I could handle it!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Ola the B&G at the rescue used to freak out and climb around in the crate (we used a big dog crate wrapped in black garbage bags) during his nebulizing. After a while he started to enjoy it and think of it as a nest. I remember one of the last days I was volunteering I put him in and he pinned his eyes at me and whispered "hi" and then started to regurge for me. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.