• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nebulizer-unable to find the correct one

gailmorley

Moving in
My Avian vet has asked me to buy an ultrasonic nebulizer capable of producing a particle size of less than 5um. I know it's not a u, but my keyboard is unable to produce it. I know it stands for micrometre. After emailing and ringing on and off for two weeks, she has finally given me a brand-BIC and told me to buy it on Amazon. Amazon do not stock it. They do stock another brand but the um is 5.5. A handheld nebulizer is no good as I won't be able to get the mask anywhere near her, so I need one with a tube, and will then place the end of that tube in a plastic container with lid. I also googled the BIC product but I was directed to websites in Saudi Arabia etc, and it was priced at nearly £400! There's no point speaking to my vet again as she said there were other brands, but did not enlighten me.....She has assumed you can buy EVERYTHING on Amazon. I'm so stressed. Many thanks, Gail.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Macawnutz any ideas? I know that @Hankmacaw Made her own. I'm unable to link her threads on my phone but I'd encourage you to look up her threads by clicking her username.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh! I'll tag @Milo As well I'm sure she'd be able to send you in the right direction as well :)

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Amazon deems them to be prescription durable medical equipment, and does not stock them. That's why you are having trouble finding them.

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Here is the one I use. It is capable of the 5 micron specifications. I can also let you know that unlike other units that are on the market, there is no chemical smell or taste that may effect your grey. It is a fully certified medical grade device unlike others that are in the same price range. Under $50 US. You may be able to find one your side of the pond as they are an international provider. Drive Medical Power Neb Ultra Nebulizer Kit with Mouthpiece, 7' Tubing, 1 Count

You do not have to use the mouthpiece, the compressor attaches to the nubulizer, each part is independent of each other, had mine for 3 years. From the nubulizer output it may require a slight modification to go back to tubing. @Hankmacaw would know as others suggested.

Best Regards,
Jay

Last edited:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Jay_314 and OP unfortunately dear Mary lynn is no longer with us but thanks to this forum her knowledge will live on forever and help other beloved flocks

gailmorley

Moving in
Here is the one I use. It is capable of the 5 micron specifications. I can also let you know that unlike other units that are on the market, there is no chemical smell or taste that may effect your grey. It is a fully certified medical grade device unlike others that are in the same price range. Under $50 US. You may be able to find one your side of the pond as they are an international provider. Drive Medical Power Neb Ultra Nebulizer Kit with Mouthpiece, 7' Tubing, 1 Count

You do not have to use the mouthpiece, the compressor attaches to the nubulizer, each part is independent of each other, had mine for 3 years. From the nubulizer output it may require a slight modification to go back to tubing. @Hankmacaw would know as others suggested.

Best Regards,
Jay
Unfortunately I am unable to find it in the UK.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thank you. She'll always be so deeply missed by so many,she was an amazing member with so much knowledge.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@tka is in the UK, not sure if she would have an idea of where to look!

gailmorley

Moving in
Thank you everyone. I now have a nebulizer. I need to work out whether to buy saline in 100ml bags from my vet, or buy boxes of human grade saline online, which hold 2.5 ml vials. My vets says either are ok. I know it needs to be 0.9% and isotonic. I was informed by someone who I think works on reception, that saline bags can only be used for two days once opened. With all the stress I forgot to ask my vet if this was the case, and I now I can't get hold of her till next week. I phoned the company who make the brand os saline my vets use. I spoke to a vet from that company who told me that as long as the saline bag was kept in the fridge, and the tube was sealed as well as it could be, with something like veterinary artery forceps or similar, it would be usable for two weeks. I know it needs to be at room temperature before it can be used. I've been so stressed it could even be that my own vet also stated two days at some point. I can't remember. If it will keep for two weeks, the bag works out cheaper. if it's only two days the box of vials would be needed. What do you think I should do? Many thanks.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it were me I'd buy the vials, as they can be kept longer.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
As a nurse, I would buy the vials. It is too easy to contaminate the bags if you are doing multiple uses. If you touch the tip of the bag to anything you can contaminate it and germs can move up into the bag. The only way I would use the bags is if you got syringes with needles so that the hole was small and the needle was sterile.

gailmorley

Moving in
As a nurse, I would buy the vials. It is too easy to contaminate the bags if you are doing multiple uses. If you touch the tip of the bag to anything you can contaminate it and germs can move up into the bag. The only way I would use the bags is if you got syringes with needles so that the hole was small and the needle was sterile.
Thank you both for replying. When the bag was first mentioned my initial thought was what a waste of water. My vet didn't tell me at the time that I could use human grade, and therefore I bought the bag she recommended. With the vials I will have peace of mind as I will only open what I actually need, and also much less waste. Easier to store as well. When I asked what size plastic box I should use I was told not too big but comfortable. Initially I thought a 35 litre box would be ok but when I measured the height the top of the box was only an inch above her head! I won't be putting a perch in as I know she won't entertain it. I bought an 80 litre box which leaves a gap above her head of nearly her height. I'm now thinking it's going to be too big. I've contacted Animal Wonders (Toy's post) but would like your thoughts.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
How long will your bird need to be in the nebulizer at a time and how often?
I have never nebulized a bird but I would think that they would only need 3 or 4 inches all around. Your bird does not need to be able to fly or even play in there. A smaller space will allow for better concentration of the saline/medication.

gailmorley

Moving in
Once she is used to the box and nebulizer, she will be in it for ten minutes twice a day. This may change if she deteriorates at a later date.