• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nebulizer for budgie

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
Hello,

My female budgie who has FM, Bella's respiratory infection has cleared however, it has took a toll on her lungs and now she cannot sing anymore. She tries to sing but gets uncomfortable and stop. Other then that, she eats, sleeps, poops and drinks and plays just fine. The vet has recommended to uses nebulizer.

I have zero knowledge on this and I am doing my research now. I don't know whether is permanent or temporary. They ask me buy nebulizer online but there is so many varieties online and I don't know which one is suitable for her.

Has anyone used nebulizer before and if so can they recommend one to me?

Thank you

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t know much about french moult, when you say nebulizer do you mean like an oxygen tank? or similar sort of set up

@saroj12 @Hankmacaw

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
image.jpg
I use this for oxygen as well as nebulizing. Bought the device but have to look for it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A nebulizer is a machine the breaks fluids down into teeeny weeny particles. These tiny particles are capable of traveling deep into the respiratory system. If the water in a nebulizer cup i mixed with medication, then the medication goes deep within the respiratory system.

The important attribute of a nebulizer is that the particle are small enough - the smaller the particles the better the machine. I used a Devilbuss for my birds which seems to be the one most Dr.s recommend.

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
A nebulizer is a machine the breaks fluids down into teeeny weeny particles. These tiny particles are capable of traveling deep into the respiratory system. If the water in a nebulizer cup i mixed with medication, then the medication goes deep within the respiratory system.

The important attribute of a nebulizer is that the particle are small enough - the smaller the particles the better the machine. I used a Devilbuss for my birds which seems to be the one most Dr.s recommend.

Thank you!

There are so many different type. Can you please give me the right website or a picture of it from google. One that is appropriate for a budgie
Also with it what else am I suppose to buy? like filters?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I may have missed this, but what do you want to nebulize?

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
I may have missed this, but what do you want to nebulize?
My budgie has respiratory infection. The vet recommended to use nebulizer. They suspect her lungs are affected as she cannot sing anymore.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My budgie has respiratory infection. The vet recommended to use nebulizer. They suspect her lungs are affected as she cannot sing anymore.
What prescription medication are you nebulizing?

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
My budgie is currently on azithromycin, antibiotic for respiratory infection. I have to go to the vet once I bought the nebulizer. They will explain everything and what medication I should be using. So I don't know for sure

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My budgie is currently on azithromycin, antibiotic for respiratory infection. I have to go to the vet once I bought the nebulizer. They will explain everything and what medication I should be using. So I don't know for sure
Okay. One of my birds(I’ve only had to nebulize 2) got very hyper after his sessions so the vet said to discontinue. I don’t recall what medication it was but it’s a known side effect.

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
Thank you
I will ask definitely about any possible side effects

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This one had the best reviews. It should be fine for your budgie. You will also need a plastic tub -like from Walmart - big enough that he has some room, but not so big the medication is spread too thin.

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
Okay. One of my birds(I’ve only had to nebulize 2) got very hyper after his sessions so the vet said to discontinue. I don’t recall what medication it was but it’s a known side effect.
Okay you are were absolutely right. It made Bella so hyper.....I am finding hard to control her considering her respiratory infection hasn't improved as much. Her sound has improved slightly so I am going to stop for now. However because she has became so hyper she is not eating in the morning but she eats plenty at night times. She is not drinking enough water and is still itchy. So I am giving her lettuce and gem lettuce, she takes a few bite here and there during the day.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Okay you are were absolutely right. It made Bella so hyper.....I am finding hard to control her considering her respiratory infection hasn't improved as much. Her sound has improved slightly so I am going to stop for now. However because she has became so hyper she is not eating in the morning but she eats plenty at night times. She is not drinking enough water and is still itchy. So I am giving her lettuce and gem lettuce, she takes a few bite here and there during the day.
I guess it wears off by the night. I’ll get the name of the medication for my non hyper bird in case it was different. Calling the vet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The hyper making meds were a mix of two things- muconyst and terbinafine(I think she said terbinafine). The non hyper meds were different but it goes back 10 years so she is researching and will call me back

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Itraconazole and amphotericin were used in the nebulizer in 2009 and didn’t make my other Quaker hyper. Hope this helps in the discussion with your vet tomorrow :)

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
Hello, Just want to say a big thank you for all you for your prompt replies and advise. Bella is on her second dose of antibiotics and I have stop using nebulizer as there was no need for it anymore. She has gotten most of her voice back and she is in so much better health. Thank you again