• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Near disaster with an earring

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I slipped up and allowed Pitchounette to climb up my arm to my shoulder. Within 10 seconds he’d gotten a hold of the tiny plastic piece that is used to stop a hoop earring from slipping out. I was able to hold his beak and make him drop it but good lord lesson learned. I’ve lived in hoop earrings for over two decades but time to rethink that and to be consistent about the no shoulder policy.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Yes no shoulder or go for the ones that clasp fully together. My bird is quite small and I don’t let her play with my jewelry. Little thing broke my chain :sad10:
Chopped it right in half

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s been since 2016 that I’ve been battling Queenie and her earring addiction. She will literally fly from her stand/cage and onto an earring of mine.

Godspeed in your quest as well.
:heart::laugh::roflmao:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
It’s been since 2016 that I’ve been battling Queenie and her earring addiction. She will literally fly from her stand/cage and onto an earring of mine.

Godspeed in your quest as well.
:heart::laugh::roflmao:
I thought about you when I posted this actually. And my other question is: Does this now mean I have to buy real gold hoops as opposed to my usual Tarjay jewels?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Curious… can you post a pic of what your hoops look like please? I can’t picture how your little guy was able to remove a small part so fast. I’m sure I’ll have a err derrr moment when I see the sort you mean but I can only picture hoops that are one piece just now.
I wear bars, tunnels and plain old sleepers and although Burt has removed and broken the sleepers a heap of times it’s not been a big problem (other than the expense) because the part is too big for him to break.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Curious… can you post a pic of what your hoops look like please? I can’t picture how your little guy was able to remove a small part so fast. I’m sure I’ll have a err derrr moment when I see the sort you mean but I can only picture hoops that are one piece just now.
I wear bars, tunnels and plain old sleepers and although Burt has removed and broken the sleepers a heap of times it’s not been a big problem (other than the expense) because the part is too big for him to break.
These are the ones. Not shown in the photo is the tiny clear plastic tube (maybe 1cm?) that is used to keep the hoop from coming out of the hole.
‘He was on my shoulder, and then a second later when I put him back on hand I noticed he had something that did not look like a sprout or bell pepper lol in his beak. The obvious choice here is no plastic piece and clasp earrings only -and better behavior from moi!

629070D7-C968-4EB3-8989-F1E83A98848F.png

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
PS forgive my own derr moment but what are “sleepers”?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Also, since y’all have been so kind in indulging my odd questions, do you think this (pink) robe we both love is a) dangerous if he pecks at it and/or b) encouraging hormonal behavior because of the material (like those fleece huts I read about here)? Or is that only in females? B942BF68-66A1-4E0D-A784-5097618D5BE3.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ah those are perfect! I’ll just have to find them in gold color. Thanks @Shezbug
They are usually made in gold and sterling silver.
I used to wear SS piercing ones with the snap in ss ball but I’d rather pay for umpteen pairs of sleepers every year than try to remove the snap in ball from Burt even once lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Also, since y’all have been so kind in indulging my odd questions, do you think this (pink) robe we both love is a) dangerous if he pecks at it and/or b) encouraging hormonal behavior because of the material (like those fleece huts I read about here)? Or is that only in females? View attachment 385857
It's not the material that causes hormones, it's the enclosed space. Think of the tent in the eyes of a bird. "Oh cool! This little area is perfect for a nest! I better get on that!"

If he is grooming it he could potentially swallow some of the fibers would be my main concern. It's not inherently dangerous; it's all about is behaviors :)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Oh well now I feel a little silly -but at least I’m better informed! So no “nesting” in the crook of my neck under said robe. Thanks @Mizzely!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@FiatLux -- NOT silly at all!
I would think the snuggling under the robe would be wonderful--- as long as you don't wear it all day!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah I know some people who let their birds hang out in their clothes and then complain when they get feisty and bite their nipples (yes, really, their nipples) so I'm inclined to never let a bird into my clothes :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is sleepers an English/Australian thing then?

I´m a stud girl, and I´ve never had any problems, until my youngest joined us and he´s ragged out my earring three times! :rolleyes: Now I just crane my neck away from him and don´t trust him anymore. I´m quite concious of how close he is to them.

so I'm inclined to never let a bird into my clothes :lol:
Those are the rules in our house too. We have a Zero policy on climbing into clothes. However when Adelies sister came to stay, I let her out on the first day to fly and before I´d even closed the cage she´d climbed up my arm like a little mouse and went straight through the neckhole and down my top! I was definitely not expecting that!