• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Naughty nine month old grey

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
She is beautiful :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I find not allowing my bird to land there or climb there in the first place helps.
If you can’t remove them from your shoulder without a hassle when you want them off then they can’t be trusted there and don’t deserve to be there- if my bird flies to land there when I don’t want or he’s being a brat then I will duck or move to stop his ability to land on me.

It’s easier to avoid a bad situation a lot of the time than it is to correct it.

Maybe I’ve misinterpreted one of your posts here but incase I haven’t- please don’t starve your bird, instead, you can pick times like first thing in the morning to work with your bird, many respond well to training before meal or eating times. My macaw responds best when I have pine nuts or he thinks he will get pine nuts.

Beano

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Carol
Thankyou for your input.As it happens I do duck or move away from her when she tries to fly to me but she just persists then nips me when I am not looking.She is in so many ways a very sweet wee bid I can handle her in every way including her lying on her back in my hand.She is just bossy and want thing s her way.I end up having to put her into her cage for ten minutes and that seems to help .I may jus have to be very very patient with her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Using the cage as time out doesn’t help as they don’t understand it, and is likely to cause caging issues further down the track.

I prefer to remove myself from the room the bird is in for a few minutes if I need a break.

I never want my bird associating his cage with negative feelings or moments.

Beano

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Carol
I completely agree however If I leave the room I am basically leaving her unsupervised in a room where she can get into mischief.I don't have a designated bird room.This is why I have returned her to her cage. I'm not meaning to be awkward just saying it as it is.She does not have total freedom in my home all day but is out of her cage several times a day to fly and play.I also take her to the park and my local cafe in her carry crate.