• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Naughty little Picard.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So Picard bit Neptune again..this time on Neptune's beak. :( The last bite was a few months ago and it was more dramatic. Picard nipped Neptune's toe.

I think Neptune is going to end up with a bruise or even a hole...still too early to tell. He is eating normally so that is positive. There wasn't any visible bleeding.

Poor little Neptune. He is too friendly for his own good sometimes.

Who could bite this cute little potato?
IMG_7200.JPG

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Good question.

They live seperatly :) each has a flight cage. They are both in the bird room. Neptune flew to Picard's cage and was trying to feed him through the bars.

It is not a good idea to house parrotlets together.

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
My local pet shop(locally owned, great place) took in parrolete someone gave up to them because one of them ate his cage mate.. seems this is a common occurence!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yes! Parrotlets are highly territorial. I have their cages set up to reduce this type of problem.

Then Neptune has moments when he wants to love on everyone.

I would never rehome Picard. He is such a little cutie too! They just have different personalities.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I like posting these types of things because I want other parrotlet owners out there to understand these things happen.

The little birds grow up in to hormonal, territorial adults. It is their nature and I love them for their sassy and spunky vibe :)

Neptune and Picard when they were young. I think Neptune wishes for his youth sometimes ;)

IMG_6001.JPG

Each bird has their own large cage. This is old set up..toys and perches are changed often. I am not a huge fan of the black...someday I would love to upgrade them to a brighter colour..white or a light grey. Though they are good cages for them. Picard is modelling the cage for scale :)

IMG_5615.JPG

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Neptune is the cutest little potato! :swoon: Hoping the bite wasnt serious :hug4:

A year or so ago, Luna bit Wally's beak and punctured a hole. The vet didnt seem worried about it, but I did have to apply a cream to the area until it grew out. But now, they dont get to play together in their room (where they are more territorial) unless closely supervised.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor little Neptune, he is too sweet for his own good!! Hope his beak isn't hurting!
I sometimes felt both my parrotlets would have loved some company, but then I looked at them and they seemed perfectly happy on their own, with the budgies being "the other birds around that I don't have to be friend with"... To be honest I don't think Pichu is even aware that he is a bird... he is a soft p'let à la Neptune, while his brother was more like Picard. Wouldn't have them any other way but yes, I'm glad they never met, Pichu would have been bullied and mauled in no time...