• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural scents other than food

Melske

Moving in
I'm sorry if this information is somewhere and I missed it. I would like to have a nice/fresh scent in the house when I can't open the windows.

I have Scentsy that I used on occasion in the past. Maybe I was lucky or maybe it was safe because my cockatiel never had problems and lived to his mid 20s. However I have heard conflicts about things like Scentsy.

I'm totally open to ideas I read about boiling natural things in water to create nice scents, BUT does anyone know of something to boil that is NOT food related (cinnamon, cloves, citrus peels, etc)? I have never been able to have food scents in the house because they just make me hungry! As a stay at home mom, it's hard enough trying not to snack throughout the day but smelling food? I have a hard enough time with the crockpot going when I'm home!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am sorry i do not know of any thing i know how hard it is to stay on a dite

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bird Safe Candles This company makes several medical/supplements that are high quality for birds. Take a look at the beeswax candles.

Last edited:

Melske

Moving in
Hmm. The link didn't work and a search of the site didn't find anything. :/

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try this one. Avitech Exotic Birds - Supplies, Equipment and Nutritional Supplements for Birds!

You will find controversy on burning beeswax or soy candles with cotton wicks among bird people. I can only speak from personal experience. I made my own beeswax candles so I knew what I used. I did burn them in my home and the birds had no untoward reactions however I cannot advise anyone else to burn these candles. As I always suggest check with your avian vet first.

Last edited:

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
We stopped burning candles after we got our first bird. If the house starts to smell stale we open some windows and get some outside ventilation. I will say that I feel that I breathe easier now that we've stopped using candles. If I'm over at a family members house and they burn a candle I can definitely tell and it bothers my nose. Fresh flowers are always a good option as well, just keep them out of reach of your bird since they are not safe and grown with lots of pesticides.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Spray 50/50 water and white vinegar on the carpet, curtains, couch etc before toy leave the house for a few hours. As it evaporates, it will take odors with it and smell quite fresh :)

I was told by a Scentsy rep that it is NOT safe for birds.

Melske

Moving in
Spray 50/50 water and white vinegar on the carpet, curtains, couch etc before toy leave the house for a few hours. As it evaporates, it will take odors with it and smell quite fresh :)

I was told by a Scentsy rep that it is NOT safe for birds.

Thank you for all the replies. I do use water/vinegar for cleaning, but didn't think about it for air freshening!I did try boiling some mint extract today and that didn't make me too hungry. Thanks for the Scentsy info. Man, I've heard it both ways from bird owners and people who have talked to reps. Better safe than sorry, though!

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Ugly reality is that this smelly stuff isn't good for our lungs, either. I say this as a candle junkie. I have about a million of those big stinky paraffin ones from B&BW. I wouldn't even think of burning them in the same airspace as my birds.

Beeswax candles don't really throw any scent, so even if they are safe, they're kinda pointless other than for looks. I just use those battery powered ones that flicker. Same effect.

Me, I would go the air purifier with carbon filter route and either do simmer pots, fresh flowers, or open the windows when possible.