• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural perches

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Okay, so I’m currently trimming some black poplar branches to the way I think is safe and able to hold his weight. From what I’ve seen from videos and read up on, this is step one :)

problem is, as beautiful as these branches are, I’m not sure where to go from after this. Because of this virus I’m sure there will not be any bleach in the stores to use as a soak disinfectant. I’ve also thought of vinegar, but so far I’ve learned that there are different types of it and that some aren’t exactly good to use around birds. Suggestions?

Yes, I’m home from school because Alberta decided there won’t be any school till next school year and basically tossed a bunch of module booklets at me to work through. I should be doing those but I’d like to keep busy with other things too! Lol

anyways, I also need homemade toy suggestions since things are getting kinda tight. I still want to make sure that he’s still getting the toys and things he needs. Toilet paper tubes and paper towel tubes is a plus! :D

Im thinking of going to go to the dollar tree and picking up some paper string (not sure about beads?) and maybe go to Home Depot and purchase an untreated pine lumber thing to cut up! I’m going to take apart one of his larger toys that he seems to be struggling to shred, and reuse the wood from there. I personally think it’s cause it’s too big for him!

He likes his jingly bells, so I’ll see if I can find stainless steel bells or something.. thanks in advance to any ideas or suggestions! Especially for the perches!

Attachments

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Soap and hot water sounds fine to me, for those thin branches.

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Thanks! are you sure just soap would do it though? And is it absolutely necessary to leave them in the sun after I bake them for an hour or so?

I kinda went with what I can reach (there was deep snow on the ground) and kinda estimated... so I hope they aren’t too thin ;-;

Last edited:

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I think they are around a quarter inch in diameter

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I’m gonna sand down the shaper edges, and some of the broken knots ^^

the third one I’m probably gonna use for my own personal decoration in my room. It’s pretty but too thin and small to use as a perch for soba. I would like to know if these are too thin for a cockatiel though? I might keep them to make a diy play gym or something if that’s the case

Attachments

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks! are you sure just soap would do it though? And is it absolutely necessary to leave them in the sun after I bake them for an hour or so?

I kinda went with what I can reach (there was deep snow on the ground) and kinda estimated... so I hope they aren’t too thin ;-;
Good ole dawn soap is what I use. I'm not an expert, so take it or leave it:geek:
I haven't read about leaving them in the sun, maybe that's just to dry them out after washing? Or if it's after the oven, maybe cool them down? Idk, but it doesn't sound necessary.
I would do your own research on that, I would say they are on the thin side for a cockatiel. But still useable, variety is key.

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Hmm.. Okay! Thanks! I’ll do the soap thing, but do you soak them?

the sunlight thingy is apparently supposed to kill off diseases and stuff that bleach soaking and baking can’t kill. I want to but since I’m in the country it seems pointless because the tiny wild birds love to hang around our sunny deck area. Lol

I might just make a play gym or toy stand out of them then :)

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I got more but I feel like it’s still not enough :(

I tried to get to my crab apple tree but the snow is so deep there I’d have to wait till it melts

Attachments

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
The ones I got before are beside the new ones to compare their sizes

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Hmm.. Okay! Thanks! I’ll do the soap thing, but do you soak them?

the sunlight thingy is apparently supposed to kill off diseases and stuff that bleach soaking and baking can’t kill. I want to but since I’m in the country it seems pointless because the tiny wild birds love to hang around our sunny deck area. Lol

I might just make a play gym or toy stand out of them then :)
Nah, I just wash them and scrub 'em down real good;) A wire brush works great.

Lookin good to me!