• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural Perches, Finally!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Sunni has an edible perch, a few ropes, a platform, wood swing, giant PVC playstand, and some dowels, but no natural perches. The only one I could find on amazon was a big good looking one, but it was $36 and a little sketchy. There was a bottle-brush perch option, too, but it was so small and cost $16.

Yesterday I finally got around to making some from the silver maple tree we have, (I know not the best option, but I'm cleaning it like crazy and the apple trees aren't big enough to make decent perches.) I know the maple trees can get a fungus that is harmful under the bark, but first thing I cut off all the bark. I then soaked them in apple cider vinegar all night and into the morning, I would have done diluted bleach but my big jug of bleach is either missing or used up. After soaking them in clean water and rinsing them, They were cooked in the oven for almost 2 hours at 230 F and left to soak up the sunlight. They will be outside for the next day or two, and then sanded down one last time. Is this safe enough?

Sunni will be so excited, I can't wait for them to be done!
Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 3.17.33 PM.png

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Probably a cheaper and better option to use white vinegar for cleaning things like perches- I’d personally save the ACV for things like sprouts.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Probably a cheaper and better option to use white vinegar for cleaning things like perches- I’d personally save the ACV for things like sprouts.
Yeah, but we were out of that, too. :roflmao: This is the first time I can remember that we didn't have vinegar or bleach, and it happened to be when I decided to make perches.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
I think that may be only red maples That have the toxic fungus, most lists only have that specific species listed.
white vinegar is very mild, if you want to clean with vinegar you can get cleaning vinegar and dilute it. Cleaning vinegar is strong enough to kill bacteria and viruses(specifically tuberculosis, which bleach doesn’t kill as well).
Should be good and clean, do you intend to use hanger bolts to attach them to the cage?

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Don't know what I'm going to use to hook them up, haven't thought that far yet. :roflmao: Any ideas or suggestions?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you don’t have any hangar bolts then you may wish to use ss wire to make a swing?

Edit: I’m not really sure that they make bolts that small :laugh:
Them sticks look like they’ll fit through cage bars?

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:Iknw:
Thanks!
If you don’t have any hangar bolts then you may wish to use ss wire to make a swing?

Edit: I’m not really sure that they make bolts that small :laugh:
Them sticks look like they’ll fit through cage bars?
The big long stick on the left would fit almost perfectly if I just cut a notch down the middle on either side and lid the nothch on the one of the bars, the diameter I think is about an inch, inch and a half. The one in the middle I won't end up using, too small for a cockatiel. The one on the right I will probably use the hanger bolt, I can just go buy one.