• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Natural Pain Med

Daisy

Checking out the neighborhood
My Mom has an older pet bird that we are wondering if she is in pain after hurting her beak. She is not wanting to eat solid foods or seeds but will gladly take applesauce, peanut butter, bananas and water, and enjoys honey but I limit that. I am wondering if there is anything I can give her just to see how she reacts. I have heard cayenne pepper could help, but also don't want to make things worse.
We are not near a vet who could look at her so I trying to help her where she is comfortable instead of a long drive.

Thanks for any suggestions, and I do know that in the end getting her to a vet is the only way to know for sure.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think the fact that she is currently only eating soft foods is a very good indicator that she is in pain.

Cayenne pepper is only a mild sensory inhibitor that usually works topically, so it's really dependent on the level of injury and how deep it is. It's really only shown to be effective for low grade things like some arthritis relief.

Even if a vet doesn't specifically see birds you might be able to talk to them about who they recommend in your area, or they may have a colleague they can contact to find the right dosage of a pain medication to write you an Rx.