• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural Guava branches

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Hi, I sawed off some branches from a guava tree and I'm currently letting the branches dry out. However I'm not sure what else I need to do to make the branches safe for my birds to chew on. Rainbow, especially, is always an eager wood stripper.

Do I need to really scrub off the surface of the branches or must the bark be peeled off? The branches were still oozing sap when cut, so must I wait for it to fully dry for a few weeks?

What other issues should I look out for?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@JLcribber
@Davi
@finchly

I've never done my own perches since buying them helps my retail therapy :lol:
Maybe, my tags can get you to someone that can help you. I'm not sure about the type of branch as I cannot locate it @ the moment. This link explains what to do to a branch but because I'm not sure if the page is correct, I'm leaving the tags.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If the wood is classified as bird safe then I cut it give it a good wash in vinegar, dish liquid or bleach solution with a scrubbing brush and rinse well in boiling water and sometimes I may spray it over with F10 then leave to air dry, preferably in the sun. I actually prefer to leave the bark on if I can as Burt loves stripping the bark more than he likes most toys.

Edited to say.....Guava wood is on a safe list I found :)

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Why didn't I think of f10?! :facepalm: Its so obvious now that you mention it. Thank you so much!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If it's been sprayed with chemicals (because it is a fruit tree) it's not really safe. If it has never been sprayed then I just powerwash the wood and let it dry. A green limb shrinks quite a bit as it drys. Softwoods more than hardwoods. Never seen a Guava tree so have no idea what the wood is like.