• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural Food Dye

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I need affordable dye for my wooden toys. I've considered Vita Critter until I saw it was $15 + shipping for ONE color only :(

Any issues with this, you think?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The colors last a long time :) even for my shop it takes me several months to go through a bottle!

I have used Wilson's coloring gels; I don't have any experience with the ones you listed. Not all food dyes transfer brightly to woods, but they should be otherwise safe I would think.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
The Vitacritter comes in an 8 oz bottle. You use anywhere from 1/3 to 1/4 cup per 32oz of 70% Rubbing Alcohol. These bottles do last a long time as @Mizzely said. As for the other products you are interested in I am not familiar with them. Also, I cant tell you how much to mix with the Rubbing Alcohol so everything is going to be trial and error.

The ChefMaster has expiration dates. Vitacritter does not. In the reviews it talks about the color not taking well and being muted.

The second one you mentioned in the feedback it says "the color drops do not go a long way. You have to use A LOT of product to get the color you want in your product- To get the colors you see in their photos you would have to use the whole bottle or more."

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Fair. Spose I'll save for some Vita Critters and just get a couple of colors.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I think the ones that you are listing are safe to use. Really anything made for food is fine.

You have to experiment. Many colors are not concentrated enough to get good colors on wood (I have rehomed many bottles of food coloring that did not work for me). I have used the chefmaster colors but the artificial (airbrush colors and gels) not natural. I have never tried the natural. If you do decide to use vitacritter you will at least get predictable results, if you are set on the natural colors then give them and try and have fun but be prepared to experiment. Try to get the most concentrated color possible.

You may also find that you will need to mix in some isopropyl alcohol to get the wood to open up more and accept more color.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I think the ones that you are listing are safe to use. Really anything made for food is fine.

You have to experiment. Many colors are not concentrated enough to get good colors on wood (I have rehomed many bottles of food coloring that did not work for me). I have used the chefmaster colors but the artificial (airbrush colors and gels) not natural. I have never tried the natural. If you do decide to use vitacritter you will at least get predictable results, if you are set on the natural colors then give them and try and have fun but be prepared to experiment. Try to get the most concentrated color possible.

You may also find that you will need to mix in some isopropyl alcohol to get the wood to open up more and accept more color.
Thank you for this advice and info :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!