• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

National Animal Poison Control Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
The National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPPC) of the University of Illinois can be reached by calling 1-900-680-0000 or 1- 800-548-2423.
The NAPCC's phones are answered by licensed veterinarians and board-certified veterinary toxicologists. The NAPCC staff have a wide range of information specific to animal poisoning. They also have an extensive collection of individual cases -- over 250,000 -- involving pesticide, drug, plant, metal, and other exposures in food producing and companion animals.

the 800 number is 30 bucks, the other is by the minute
and...
The National Animal Poison Control Center of the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) can be reached by calling 1-888-4ANI-HELP (1-888-426-4435)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I thought poison control was free? it is a 800 number

I honestly don't know many ppl who will be paying
30.00 to call a TOLL free 800 number when most vets have a "on call" number that doesn't cost the caller anything

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
I've had to use it. and it was well worth it. Most vets will say come on in we can't tell you anything. A vet visit for no reason, or a over nighter at the vets cause some basic steps that you could have taken to help, like feeding peanut butter to absorb toxins, but didn't know to, would cost a lot more than 30 bucks

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is great info.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I agree that is very good info to have handy.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Here is another Pet Help Line :Pet Poison Helpline - 24/7 Animal Poison Control Center 800-213-6680
Pet Poison Helpline is a 24-hour animal poison control service available throughout the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean for pet owners and veterinary professionals who require assistance with treating a potentially poisoned pet. We have the ability to help every poisoned pet, with all types of poisonings, 24 hours a day. Our knowledge and expertise of pet poisons will put your mind at ease when dealing with a potential emergency.
In order to provide this critical service, please be advised that there is a $39 per incident fee, payable by credit card. This fee covers the initial consultation as well as all follow-up calls associated with the management of the case.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I thought poison control was free? it is a 800 number

I honestly don't know many ppl who will be paying
30.00 to call a TOLL free 800 number when most vets have a "on call" number that doesn't cost the caller anything
Vets end up calling one of these numbers, and you will get charged for it. These registries have databases that contain information about the ingredients in various substances and the recommended treatments.

Several of my sister's cats got into a disinfecting product a year ago. The emergency clinic wanted her to call the ASPCA poison control number; I ended up making the call, because she was busy checking all of her cats. They immediately recognized the name of the product (a specialized product for use in vet offices), and provided information regarding best treatment options.

I now have the number saved in my cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.