• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nasty bite ... I don't want him anymore.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Thank you all for your kind replies. You helped. You also put it back in perspective. I will try to work through it with Petey.

A few responses ... when does he generally bite?
  • If I put my hand in his cage, or near his cage. This isn't a problem. He doesn't bite if I'm taking him out of his cage.
  • When he's is molting - he often wants me to work his pinfeathers, and I do, but if I touch one wrong, he'll bite. I apologize and we continue.
  • If he's out and playing with a tissue, toy, whatever, and my fingers get too close. It's his. I respect that and watch my fingers.
  • He loves me but hates my husband.
  • If he is out playing on me and one of the dogs or cats get too close, he charges over to attack the dog or cat. (They've learned to avoid him.) Not long ago, my hand was near his attack path. When the dog moved away, Petey bit me instead.
  • When I put him back in his cage. I've worked around this -- he gets a favorite treat (almond, grape, strawberry) and I put him back when his mouth is full.
  • If I try to remove him from me, and he doesn't want to go. He can sometimes be coaxed with treats. Other times ... it's easier to take my shirt off. :)

This list isn't unreasonable to me. Sometimes he's cuddly. I don't know what set him off the other day, but it could have been a combination of hormones, maybe, and he is molting. I'm anxious about getting bitten again - I'll have to work on that, too. He definitely frightened me and hurt my feelings. Hopefully he'll be nice.

Thank you again,
Leslie
Oh it doe's hurt more my feelings then the wound I hate that big time. I am not sure if bird's get dominant or not I heard they don't but it sounds like he is . More chew-able toys outside the cage maybe play-gym if you have one hmmm what else ohhh this might work to .I have a OCD bird GCC his name is Nippie(gues why I named him that:rolleyes:) He will chew up and down my shirt (I ware a shirt just for him) sometimes he get's through the shirt so distract him from chewing I get a stick and get him to bite that attack that chase that and it works . redirect the aggression of and my wifes GCC Sweepee will go after my dog and my big Pios Conures are crazy suicidal's sometimes.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Sounds like average/typical behavior to me! Conures can be feisty creatures! I would defininitely recommend some behavior training aka positive reinforcement training with Petey! I know a lot of people don't like "tricks" because they aren't "natural", but it really helps to bridge the communication gap and can be fun for both owner and bird! It's a way to bond! To give you an idea....

Getting Started: Clicker Training for Birds by Melinda Johnson (Amazon)

Find out just how smart, affectionate, and fascinating birds can be, with clicker training.

• Depressed birds regain their joy in life
  • One-person birds warm up to other family members
  • Scared birds learn to cooperate with simple care such as nail clipping
  • Undesirable behaviors such as screaming and biting fade away
  • Baby birds grow up to be outstanding companions
  • Rescued and older birds learn to trust, love and play
  • Birds win new friends with appealing tricks and games

And here's behaviors and training that the book goes over.

1. Targeting
  2. Step Up
  3. Climb a Ladder
  4. Ring a Bell
  5. Retrieve an Item
  6. Basketball
  7. Rings on a Peg
  8. Pull a Toy Car or Wagon
  9. Agility (Flight/Obstical Course)
  10. Combining Behaviors
  11. Big Eagle
  12. Holding Out one Wing
  13. Dance
  14. Bow
  15. Shake Head Yes/No
  16. Flap on Cue
  17. Wave with Foot
  18. Talk/Sing on Cue
  19. Shake Hands
  20. Upside-Down Swing
  21. Roll Over
  22. Go to/Come from Cage
  23. Potty Training
  24. "Leave It"
  25. Stationing
  26. Grooming & Bathing
  27. Harness Training
  28. Syringe Feeding/Medication Training
  29. Solving Feather Destructive Behaviors
  30. Solving Screaming Issues
  31. Solving Biting Problems
  32. Training Birds Who Are Afraid
  33. And solving other behavioral problems

The list of what you could teach a bird is limitless! Maybe skateboarding, raising a flag, running through a tube or obstacle course, or any other behavior you can think of that the bird would enjoy learning and performing!
Yes this would work great for her it would help her and him bond again and give his some purpose other than a terror to you.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you all for your kind replies. You helped. You also put it back in perspective. I will try to work through it with Petey.
Funny, my lil lip-munching conure is Petey too :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Glad to hear it, when I was around 15 my first bird Ralph attacked me after my step dad told me I couldn't let him out anymore. I snuck him out and he was so upset about me not letting him out to play and interact that he attacked me. I was very hurt feelings wise and of course step dad hated that bird so he encouraged me when I said I was done and we took himback to the shop I bought him from. Of course I quickly regreted it and mom never forgave step dad for what he did, plus I missed Ralph and I hope he found another loving home but I never saw him again and now I still feel bad about it and wish I'd stepped back rather then going with my imediate emotions at the time. Ralph started as a agressive always biting bird, but when I finally buckled down and worked with him he became a love spongue and I hope he continued with someone that would work with him and love him.
Later when I was 18 I got Nerd and Ferd and both spent their lifetimes with me and now I have Lurch:cool:
So good job and step back and take the time you both need to work it out and you'll both be best buds again with the ocasional spat:hug8:

Vishi

Meeting neighbors
If it makes you feel any better, my GC conure bites in all those exact instances, too!

Dust yourself off & move onwards & upwards. +1 for the +R trick training!

*HUG!*